- Experience. Mayo Clinic doctors trained in heart disease (cardiologists), doctors trained in treating children with heart disease (pediatric cardiologists), doctors trained in heart surgery (cardiovascular surgeons) and others have many years of experience evaluating and treating adults and children with atrial septal defects and other congenital heart diseases. Mayo doctors evaluate and treat more than 3,200 people with atrial septal defects each year.
- Multidisciplinary team. Mayo Clinic doctors work together as a multidisciplinary team to provide you with coordinated care.
- Treatment expertise. Doctors at Mayo Clinic have expertise treating atrial septal defects with many options. Doctors repair atrial septal defects with catheter procedures, minimally invasive heart surgery or open-heart surgery.
- Congenital heart disease treatment. Mayo Clinic cardiologists and others have experience and expertise treating congenital heart diseases, including atrial septal defects. A multidisciplinary team in the Center for Congenital Heart Disease at Mayo Clinic's campus in Minnesota treats adults and children with congenital heart disease.
- Research. Mayo Clinic doctors study potential diagnostic tests and treatments for atrial septal defect and other congenital heart diseases and conduct clinical trials.
Why choose Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., is ranked among the Best Hospitals for heart and heart surgery and for rehabilitation by U.S. News & World Report.
Mayo Clinic: Answers you can trust
At Mayo Clinic, we assemble a team of specialists who take the time to listen and thoroughly understand your health issues and concerns. We tailor the care you receive to your personal health care needs. You can trust our specialists to collaborate and offer you the best possible outcomes, safety and service.
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit medical institution that reinvests all earnings into improving medical practice, research and education. We're constantly involved in innovation and medical research, finding solutions to improve your care and quality of life. Your doctor or someone on your medical team is likely involved in research related to your condition.
Our patients tell us that the quality of their interactions, our attention to detail and the efficiency of their visits mean health care — and trusted answers — like they've never experienced.
Why Choose Mayo Clinic
What Sets Mayo Clinic Apart
Dec. 11, 2014
- What are holes in heart? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/holes/. Accessed Aug. 27, 2014.
- Facts about atrial septal defect. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/heartdefects/atrialseptaldefect.html. Accessed Aug. 27, 2014.
- Atrial septal defect (ASD). The Merck Manual Professional Edition. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/pediatrics/congenital_cardiovascular_anomalies/atrial_septal_defect_asd.html?qt=atrial%20septal%20defect&alt=sh. Accessed Aug. 27, 2014.
- St. John Sutton MG. Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of atrial septal defects in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 27, 2014.
- Vick GW, et al. Classification of atrial septal defects (ASDs), and clinical features and diagnosis of isolated ASDs in children. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 27, 2014.
- Congenital heart defects and CCHD. March of Dimes. http://www.marchofdimes.org/baby/congenital-heart-defects.aspx. Accessed Aug. 27, 2014.
- Connolly HM. Management of atrial septal defects in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 27, 2014.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2015: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2015. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 18, 2014.
- Connolly HM. Medical management of Eisenmenger syndrome. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 19, 2014.
- St. John Sutton MG. Identification and assessment of atrial septal defects in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 19, 2014.
- Vick GW, et al. Management and outcome of isolated atrial septal defects in children. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 27, 2014.
- The American Heart Association's diet and lifestyle recommendations. American Heart Association. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/NutritionCenter/HealthyEating/The-American-Heart-Associations-Diet-and-Lifestyle-Recommendations_UCM_305855_Article.jsp. Accessed Sept. 23, 2014.
- Riggin EA. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Accessed July 10, 2014.
- Mankad R (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Nov. 10, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.