An atrial septal defect (ASD) is a hole in the wall between the two upper chambers of your heart. The condition is present from birth (congenital). Smaller atrial septal defects may close on their own during infancy or early childhood.
Large and long-standing atrial septal defects can damage your heart and lungs. An adult who has had an undetected atrial septal defect for decades may have a shortened life span from heart failure or high blood pressure in the lungs. Surgery is often necessary to repair atrial septal defects to prevent complications.
Dec. 14, 2011
- What are holes in the heart? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/holes/. Accessed Oct. 26, 2011.
- Facts about atrial septal defect. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/heartdefects/AtrialSeptalDefect.html. Accessed Oct. 26, 2011.
- Cohen S, et al. Atrial septal defect. In: Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2012: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05611-3..C2009-0-38601-8--TOP&isbn=978-0-323-05611-3&uniqId=291436269-101. Accessed Oct. 26, 2011.
- Bernstein D. Acyanotic congenital heart disease: The left-to-right shunt lesions. In: Kliegman RM, et al. Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics. 19th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-6/0/1608/0.html. Accessed Oct. 26, 2011.
- Vick GW, et al. Management and outcome of isolated atrial septal defects in children. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Oct. 26, 2011.
- Atrial septal defect. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/print/pediatrics/congenital_cardiovascular_anomalies/atrial_septal_defect_asd.html. Accessed Oct. 26, 2011.
- Wiegers SE, et al. Management of atrial septal defects in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Oct. 26, 2011.
- Wiegers SE, et al. Pathophysiology and clinical features of atrial septal defects in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Oct. 26, 2011.
- Birth defects. March of Dimes. http://www.marchofdimes.com/baby/birthdefects_congenitalheart.html. Accessed Oct. 26, 2011.
- Questions and answers on the 2010 dietary guidelines advisory committee report. U.S. Department of Agriculture. http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/Publications/DietaryGuidelines/2010/DGAC/Report/QandA-DGACReport.pdf. Accessed Oct. 26, 2011.
- Grogan M (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Nov. 8, 2011.