Erectile dysfunction (ED) can be the result of physical or psychological causes or both. Discover what causes ED and what treatments are available.
Lifestyle and home remedies
Eat more fiber. You've probably heard it before. But do you know why fiber is so good for your health?
Want to improve your mood? Get better sleep? Lose weight? It may be as easy as including physical activity in your daily routine.
Ready to start your heart-healthy diet? Here are eight tips to get you started.
See how constant stress wreaks havoc on your body and mind, and what you can do about it.
Uncontrolled high blood pressure can lead to various life-threatening conditions. But it's easily detected — and you can work with your doctor to control it.
Tests and diagnosis
The ankle-brachial index test is a noninvasive test for peripheral artery disease. Find out whether you're a good candidate for this noninvasive test.
Blood tests can offer clues to your heart health. Here are tests you might encounter in the diagnosis, treatment and monitoring of heart disease.
Cardiac catheterization is used as a test for some heart conditions and as a procedure to treat some types of heart disease. Find out more.
A CT scan is an imaging test that uses X-rays to produce detailed images of the inside of your body.
An electrocardiogram (ECG or EKG) is a test that provides valuable clues about your heart health. Here's what you need to know about the test.
A stress test is used to diagnose coronary artery disease and heart arrhythmias, as well as guide treatment of heart disorders.
Ultrasound imaging uses high-frequency sound waves to create images of structures in your body.
Apr. 08, 2014
- What is atherosclerosis? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/dci/Diseases/Atherosclerosis/Atherosclerosis_All.html. Accessed Oct. 2, 2013.
- Atherosclerosis. American Heart Association. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/Cholesterol/WhyCholesterolMatters/Atherosclerosis_UCM_305564_Article.jsp. Accessed Oct. 2, 2013.
- Zhao X. Pathogenesis of atherosclerosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 2, 2013.
- Kalanuria AA, et al. The prevention and regression of atherosclerosis plaques: Emerging treatments. Vascular Health and Risk Management. 2012;8:549.
- Smith SC, et al. American Heart Association/American College of Cardiology Foundation Secondary prevention and risk reduction therapy for patients with coronary and other atherosclerotic vascular disease: 2011 update. Circulation. 2011;124:2458.
- The seventh report of the Joint National Committee on Prevention, Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Pressure. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/hypertension/jnc7full.htm. Accessed Oct. 3, 2013.
- Natural product effectiveness checker: High cholesterol. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed Oct. 3, 2013.
- Natural product effectiveness checker: Atherosclerosis. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed Oct. 3, 2013.
- Natural product effectiveness checker: Hypertension. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed Oct. 3, 2013.