An occasional cough is normal and healthy. A cough that persists for weeks signals an underlying problem.
A CT scan is an imaging test that uses X-rays to produce detailed images of the inside of your body.
Ultrasound imaging uses high-frequency sound waves to create images of structures in your body.
Jul. 14, 2012
- Duggana M, et al. Atelectasis in the perioperative patient. Current Opinions in Anaesthesiology. 2007;20:37.
- Johnson MM, et al. Overview of the management of postoperative pulmonary complications. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed June 4, 2012.
- O'donnell AE. Bronchiectasis, Atelectasis, Cysts, and Localized Lung Disorders. Goldman L, et al. Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/191371208-2/0/1492/0.html#. Accessed June 4, 2012.
- Smetana GW, et al. Strategies to reduce postoperative pulmonary complications. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed June 6, 2012.
- Limper AH (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 6, 2012.
- Rosenow EC (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 10, 2012.
- Stark P et al. Atelectasis: Types and pathogenesis in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed May 31, 2012.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.