Atelectasis in children is often caused by a blockage in the airway. To decrease atelectasis risk, keep small objects out of reach of children.
In adults, atelectasis most commonly occurs after surgery. If you're scheduled for surgery, talk with your doctor about how to reduce your risk of atelectasis.
June 11, 2015
- Duggana M, et al. Atelectasis in the perioperative patient. Current Opinions in Anaesthesiology. 2007;20:37.
- Conde MV, et al. Overview of the management of postoperative pulmonary complications. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 3, 2015.
- Goldman L, et al. Bronchiectasis, atelectasis, cysts, and localized lung disorders. In: Goldman's Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed April 3, 2015.
- Smetana GW, et al. Strategies to reduce postoperative pulmonary complications. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 3, 2015.
- AskMayoExpert. Perioperative medicine-pulmonary management. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- What is atelectasis? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/atl#. Accessed April 3, 2015.
- Stark P, et al. Atelectasis: Types and pathogenesis in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 3, 2015.
- Finder JD. Atelectasis in children. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 3, 2015.
- Questions are the answer: Do you know the right questions to ask? Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. www.ahrq.gov/questionsaretheanswer. Accessed May 28, 2015.
- Ferri FF. Atelectasis. In: Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2015: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2015. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 28, 2015.
- Bronchiectasis and atelectasis. Merck Manual Professional Version. https://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/pulmonary-disorders/bronchiectasis-and-atelectasis/atelectasis. Accessed May 29, 2015.