Asthma complications include:
- Symptoms that interfere with sleep, work or recreational activities
- Sick days from work or school during asthma flare-ups
- Permanent narrowing of the bronchial tubes (airway remodeling) that affects how well you can breathe
- Emergency room visits and hospitalizations for severe asthma attacks
- Side effects from long-term use of some medications used to stabilize severe asthma
Proper treatment makes a big difference in preventing both short-term and long-term complications caused by asthma.
Feb. 13, 2014
- Expert panel report 3 (EPR-3): Guidelines for the diagnosis and management of asthma. Bethesda, Md.: National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/asthma/. Accessed Sept. 13, 2013.
- Bailey W, et al. What do patients need to know about their asthma? http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 13, 2013.
- Fanta CH. Treatment of acute exacerbations of asthma in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 13, 2013.
- What is asthma? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/asthma/. Accessed Sept. 13, 2013.
- Hazeldine V. Pharmacological management of acute asthma exacerbations in adults. Nursing Standard. 2013;27:43.
- Bope ET, et al. Conn's Current Therapy. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2013. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 13, 2013.
- Diagnosis and Management of Asthma Guideline. Bloomington, Minn. Institute for Clinical Systems Improvement. http://mayoweb.mayo.edu/etc-ame/icsi/Asthma.pdf. Accessed Aug. 3, 2013.
- Updated information on leukotriene inhibitors: Montelukast (marketed as Singulair), zafirlukast (marketed as Accolate), and zileuton (marketed as Zyflo and Zyflo CR). U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/PostmarketDrugSafetyInformationforPatientsandProviders/DrugSafetyInformationforHeathcareProfessionals/ucm165489.htm. Accessed Sept. 12, 2013.
- Asthma. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed Sept. 13, 2013.
- Alternative therapies. Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America. http://www.aafa.org/display.cfm?id=8&sub=16&cont=40. Accessed Sept. 13, 2013.
- Sheshadri A, et al. Bronchial thermoplasty: A novel therapy for severe asthma. Clinics in Chest Medicine. 2013;34:437.
- Li JTC (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Sept. 20, 2013.