Asthma attacks can be serious.
Feb. 09, 2016
- Asthma attacks can interrupt everyday activities such as sleep, school, work and exercise, causing a significant impact on your quality of life — and can disrupt the lives of those around you.
- Serious asthma attacks mean you're likely to need trips to the emergency room, which can be stressful and costly.
- A very severe asthma attack can lead to respiratory arrest and death.
- Hazeldine V. Pharmacological management of acute asthma exacerbations in adults. Nursing Standard. 2013;27:43.
- Fanta CH. Treatment of acute exacerbations of asthma in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 22, 2013.
- Expert panel report 3 (EPR3): Guidelines for the diagnosis and management of asthma. Bethesda, Md.: National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/asthma/. Accessed June 23, 2013.
- Bope ET, et al. Conn's Current Therapy. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2013. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed July 24, 2013.
- Li JT (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Aug. 5, 2013.