There's no treatment to reverse the effects of asbestos on the alveoli. Treatment focuses on slowing the progression of the disease and relieving symptoms.
You'll need routine follow-up care, such as chest X-rays and lung function tests, at regular intervals depending on the severity of your condition.
To ease breathing difficulty caused by advanced asbestosis, your doctor might prescribe supplemental oxygen. This is delivered by thin plastic tubing with prongs that fit into your nostrils or a mask.
If your symptoms are severe, you might be a candidate for a lung transplant.
Aug. 12, 2017
- What are asbestos-related lung diseases? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/dci/Diseases/asb/asb_all.html. Accessed June 17, 2016.
- Asbestosis. AskMayoExpert. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2016.
- Learn about asbestos. U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. https://www.epa.gov/asbestos/learn-about-asbestos#asbestos. Accessed June 17, 2016.
- Broaddus VC, et al., eds. Pneumoconioses. In: Murray & Nadel's Textbook of Respiratory Medicine. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2016. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed June 17, 2016.
- Goldman L, et al., eds. Occupational lung disease. In: Goldman-Cecil Medicine. 25th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2016. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed June 17, 2016.
- King TE. Asbestosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 17, 2016.
- Sen R. Working with asbestos and the possible health risks. Occupational Medicine. 2015;65:6.
- Roggli VL, et al. Pathology of asbestosis — An update of the diagnostic criteria: Report of the asbestosis committee of the College of American Pathologists and Pulmonary Pathology Society. Archives of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine. 2010;134:462.
- Ferri FF. Asbestosis. In: Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2017. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2016. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed June 17, 2016.
- What is COPD? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/dci/Diseases/Copd/Copd_WhatIs.html. Accessed June 17, 2016.