People who worked in mining, milling, manufacturing, installation or removal of asbestos products before the late 1970s are at risk of asbestosis. Examples include:
- Asbestos miners
- Aircraft and auto mechanics
- Building construction workers
- Workers removing asbestos insulation around steam pipes in older buildings
- Shipyard workers
- Boiler operators
- Railroad workers
In general, it's safe to be around materials that are made with asbestos as long as the asbestos fibers are contained. This prevents them from getting into the air
Jan. 02, 2014
- What are asbestos-related lung diseases? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/dci/Diseases/asb/asb_all.html. Accessed Aug. 14, 2013.
- Asbestos: Health effects. Agency for Toxic Substances & Disease Registry. http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/asbestos/asbestos/health_effects/. Accessed Aug. 14, 2013.
- The asbestos informer. U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. http://www.epa.gov/region4/air/asbestos/inform.htm. Accessed Aug. 14, 2013.
- Mason RJ, et al. Murray & Nadel's Textbook of Respiratory Medicine. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2010. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Aug. 14, 2013.
- Goldman L, et al. Goldman's Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Aug. 14, 2013.
- King TE. Asbestosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 14, 2013.
- Clinical screening guidelines for asbestos-related lung disease. Agency for Toxic Substances & Disease Registry. http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/asbestos/site-kit/docs/clinscrguide_32205_lo.pdf. Accessed Aug. 14, 2013.
- Roggli VL, et al. Pathology of asbestosis — An update of the diagnostic criteria: Report of the asbestosis committee of the college of American pathologists and pulmonary pathology society. Archives of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine. 2010;134:462.
- Mescher AL, ed. Junqueira's Basic Histology: Text & Atlas. 13th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2013. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=15. Accessed Aug. 19, 2013.
- What is COPD? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/dci/Diseases/Copd/Copd_WhatIs.html. Accessed Aug. 19, 2013.
- Rosenow EC (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Sept. 17, 2013.