With gentle movements and focused breathing, tai chi helps reduce stress and anxiety. See if it's right for you.
Inflammatory bowel disease can be painful and debilitating, and it can cause life-threatening complications. Find out more about treating this digestive system disorder.
Though psoriasis can be uncomfortable and sometimes painful, you can take steps to improve your symptoms.
Lifestyle and home remedies
Curious about exercise and chronic disease? Get the answers to your questions.
Arthritis shouldn't keep you from exercising. Regular exercise increases your strength and flexibility, reduces pain and fights fatigue.
The usual advice is eight hours a night, but many factors, such as age and genetics, influence how much shut-eye you need.
Tests and diagnosis
A CT scan is an imaging test that uses X-rays to produce detailed images of the inside of your body.
MRI uses a magnetic field and radio waves to create detailed images of the organs and tissues within your body.
Ultrasound imaging uses high-frequency sound waves to create images of structures in your body.
Urinalysis can be used to assess your overall health, detect a wide range of disorders, or monitor a medical condition or treatment.
X-rays are a form of radiation that can make images of your bones and internal organs.
Treatments and drugs
Got a painful joint? With arthroscopy, you can find out why — and get relief.
Corticosteroids, such as prednisone and cortisone, are used to successfully treat a variety of conditions. But these medications can also cause unwanted side effects. Get the facts here.
Jul. 15, 2014
- Questions and answers about arthritis and rheumatic diseases. National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal Diseases. http://www.niams.nih.gov/Health_Info/Arthritis/arthritis_rheumatic_qa.asp. Accessed May 16, 2014.
- Venables PJW, et al. Clinical features of rheumatoid arthritis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 18, 2014.
- Mobasheri A. The future of osteoarthritis therapeutics: Targeted pharmacological therapy. Current Rheumatology Reports. 2013;15:364.
- Loeser RF. Aging processes and the development of osteoarthritis. Current Opinion in Rheumatology. 2013;25:108.
- Osteoarthritis. National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal Diseases. http://www.niams.nih.gov/Health_Info/Osteoarthritis/default.asp. Accessed May 16, 2014.
- Kalunian KC. Initial pharmacologic therapy of osteoarthritis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 18, 2014.
- Osteoarthritis. American College of Rheumatology. http://www.rheumatology.org/Practice/Clinical/Patients/Diseases_And_Conditions/Osteoarthritis/, Accessed May 16, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.