Departments and specialties
Mayo Clinic has one of the largest and most experienced practices in the United States,
with campuses in Arizona, Florida and Minnesota. Staff skilled in dozens of specialties work
together to ensure quality care and successful recovery.
Departments that treat this condition
Mayo Clinic cardiologists, cardiovascular surgeons and others are involved in basic research to identify novel and emerging factors that increase the risk of heart disease and clinical research to develop new treatments and approaches to reduce the risk of heart attack and other medical problems caused by atherosclerosis. Learn more about research in the Cardiovascular Research Center.
See a list of publications by Mayo Clinic authors on atherosclerosis on PubMed, a service of the National Library of Medicine.
Arteriosclerosis / atherosclerosis care at Mayo Clinic
Aug. 04, 2017
- What is atherosclerosis? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/atherosclerosis/#. Accessed Oct. 1, 2015.
- Atherosclerosis. American Heart Association. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/Cholesterol/WhyCholesterolMatters/Atherosclerosis_UCM_305564_Article.jsp. Accessed Oct. 1, 2015.
- Zhao X. Pathogenesis of atherosclerosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 1, 2015.
- Mohler ER. Epidemiology, risk factors, pathogenesis and natural history of abdominal aortic aneurysm. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 19, 2015.
- Smith SC, et al. American Heart Association/American College of Cardiology Foundation Secondary prevention and risk reduction therapy for patients with coronary and other atherosclerotic vascular disease: 2011 update. Circulation. 2011;124:2458.
- James PA, et al. 2014 evidence-based guideline for the management of high blood pressure in adults: Report from the panel members appointed to the Eighth Joint National Committee (JNC 8). JAMA. 2014;311:507.
- Natural product effectiveness checker: High cholesterol. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed Oct. 1, 2015.
- Natural product effectiveness checker: Atherosclerosis. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed Oct. 1, 2015.
- Natural product effectiveness checker: Hypertension. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed Oct. 19, 2015.
- Mohler ER, et al. Noninvasive diagnosis of arterial disease. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 19, 2015.
- Lopez-Jimenez F, et al. A summary and critical assessment of the 2013 ACC/AHA guideline on the treatment of blood cholesterol to reduce atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease risk in adults: Filling the gaps. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2014;89:1257.
- Tapson VF. Fibrinolytic (thrombolytic) therapy in acute pulmonary embolism and lower extremity deep vein thrombosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 19, 2015.
- Riggin EA. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Aug. 18, 2015.
Arteriosclerosis / atherosclerosis