Your doctor will prescribe medications to help you control your pain after your appendectomy. Some complementary and alternative treatments, when used with your medications, can help control pain. Ask your doctor about safe options, such as:
Aug. 20, 2014
- Distracting activities, such as listening to music and talking with friends, that take your mind off your pain. Distraction can be especially effective with children.
- Guided imagery, such as closing your eyes and thinking about a favorite place.
- Appendicitis. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/appendicitis/. Accessed May 31, 2014.
- Martin RF. Acute appendicitis in adults: Clinical manifestations and diagnosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 31, 2014.
- Smink D, et al. Acute appendicitis in adults: Management. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 31, 2014.
- Appendectomy: Surgical removal of the appendix. American College of Surgeons. http://search2.facs.org/search?q=appendectomy&sa=Search&site=my_collection&client=my_collection&proxystylesheet=my_collection&output=xml_no_dtd. Accessed May 31, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.