Your risk of aortic valve regurgitation is greater if you've been affected by any of the following:
Sep. 03, 2014
- Aortic valve damage. Inflammation associated with certain conditions, such as endocarditis or rheumatic fever, can damage your aortic valve. Also, a narrowing of the aortic valve (aortic stenosis) can be associated with leaking.
- High blood pressure (hypertension). High blood pressure may stretch the root of the aorta where the aortic valve sits. The valve leaflets may no longer meet, resulting in leakage.
- Congenital heart valve disease. If you were born with a malformed aortic valve, your chances of having aortic valve regurgitation increase.
- Disease. Certain conditions, including Marfan syndrome and ankylosing spondylits, may cause the aortic root (where the aorta attaches to the ventricle) to widen, resulting in a leaky aortic valve.
- Age. By middle age, you can develop some aortic valve regurgitation caused by natural deterioration of the valve.
- Heart valve disease. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/dci/Diseases/hvd/hvd_all.html. Accessed June 2, 2014.
- Roles of your four heart valves. American Heart Association. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/More/HeartValveProblemsandDisease/Roles-of-Your-Four-Heart-Valves_UCM_450344_Article.jsp. Accessed June 2, 2014.
- Gaasch WH. Pathophysiology and clinical features of chronic aortic regurgitation in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 16, 2014.
- Gaasch WH. Course and management of chronic aortic regurgitation in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 16, 2014.
- Aldea GS. Minimally invasive aortic and mitral valve surgery. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 6, 2014.
- Foster E. Echocardiographic evaluation of the aortic valve. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 17, 2014.
- Maganti K, et al. Vascular heart disease: Diagnosis and management. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2010;85:483.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.