Mayo Clinic cardiologists and cardiac surgeons research diagnostic tests and treatment options for aortic valve disease. Read more about research in the Cardiovascular Research Center.
Areas of research may include:
- Imaging tests, such as echocardiography, multidetector computerized tomography and cardiac magnetic resonance imaging
- Minimally invasive procedures to treat aortic valve disease, including transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR) and other catheter procedures
- Outcomes of TAVR compared with open-heart surgery in people with different levels of surgical risk
- 3-D printing of models of the heart and valves that doctors may study to prepare to conduct heart valve surgery
See a list of publications by Mayo Clinic doctors on aortic valve disease on PubMed, a service of the National Library of Medicine.
March 23, 2017
- Problem: Aortic valve stenosis. American Heart Association. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/More/HeartValveProblemsandDisease/Problem-Aortic-Valve-Stenosis_UCM_450437_Article.jsp#.WCn02cnFjVY. Accessed Oct. 31, 2016.
- Problem: Aortic valve regurgitation. American Heart Association. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/More/HeartValveProblemsandDisease/Problem-Aortic-Valve-Regurgitation_UCM_450611_Article.jsp#.WCn1DcnFjVY. Accessed Oct. 31, 2016.
- What is heart valve disease? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/hvd. Accessed Aug. 15, 2016.
- Bonow RO, et al., eds. Valvular heart disease. In: Braunwald's Heart Disease: A Textbook of Cardiovascular Medicine. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2015. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Aug. 16, 2016.
- AskMayoExpert. Aortic valve stenosis (adult). Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2016.
- Nishimura RA, et al. 2014 AHA/ACC guideline for the management of patients with valvular heart disease: A report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines. The Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery. 2014;148:e1.
- Aldea GS. Minimally invasive aortic and mitral valve surgery. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 15, 2016.
- Ruiz CE, et al. Transcatheter therapies for the treatment of valvular and paravalvular regurgitation in acquired and congenital valvular heart disease. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2015;66:169.
- Getting support. American Heart Association. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Caregiver/ReachOut/GettingSupport/Getting-Support_UCM_301847_Article.jsp#.WCn5QdgzXIU. Accessed Nov. 4, 2016.
- Daniels BK. Echo Information Management System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Oct 18, 2016.
- Riggin EA. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Aug. 4, 2016.
- Clavel MA, et al. The complex nature of discordant severe calcified aortic valve disease grading: New insights from combined Doppler echocardiographic and computed tomographic study. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2013;62:2329.
- How can I make my lifestyle healthier? American Heart Association. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/More/ToolsForYourHeartHealth/Answers-by-Heart-Fact-Sheets-Lifestyle-and-Risk-Reduction_UCM_300611_Article.jsp#.WC9socnFjVY. Accessed Nov. 18, 2016.
News, connections and conversations for your health