Heart palpitations are skipped, fluttering or racing heartbeats that aren't usually a symptom of a serious heart problem. Discover the causes and symptoms of this condition.
Tests and diagnosis
Treatments and drugs
Aug. 17, 2017
- Problem: Aortic valve stenosis. American Heart Association. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/More/HeartValveProblemsandDisease/Problem-Aortic-Valve-Stenosis_UCM_450437_Article.jsp#.WCn02cnFjVY. Accessed March 8, 2017.
- What is heart valve disease? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/hvd. Accessed March 7, 2017.
- Bonow RO, et al., eds. Valvular heart disease. In: Braunwald's Heart Disease: A Textbook of Cardiovascular Medicine. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2015. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed March 8, 2017.
- Otto CM. Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of aortic stenosis in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 22, 2017.
- AskMayoExpert. Aortic valve stenosis (adult). Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2016.
- Otto CM. Medical management of asymptomatic aortic stenosis in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 8, 2017.
- Otto CM, et al. Medical management of symptomatic aortic stenosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 22, 2017.
- Gaasch WH. Indications for valve placement in aortic stenosis in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 22, 2017.
- Nishimura RA, et al. 2014 AHA/ACC guideline for the management of patients with valvular heart disease: A report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines. The Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery. 2014;148:e1.
- Ruiz CE, et al. Transcatheter therapies for the treatment of valvular and paravalvular regurgitation in acquired and congenital valvular heart disease. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2015;66:169.
- How can I make my lifestyle healthier? American Heart Association. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/More/ToolsForYourHeartHealth/Answers-by-Heart-Fact-Sheets-Lifestyle-and-Risk-Reduction_UCM_300611_Article.jsp#.WC9socnFjVY. Accessed March 10, 2017.
- Daniels BK. Echo Information Management System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Oct. 18, 2016.
- Clavel MA, et al. The complex nature of discordant severe calcified aortic valve disease grading: New insights from combined Doppler echocardiographic and computed tomographic study. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2013;62:2329.
- Riggin EA. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 14, 2017.
- Mankad R (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 27, 2017.
News, connections and conversations for your health