Lifestyle and home remedies
Want to lose weight? Boost your mood? Increase your stamina? Then add aerobic activity to your routine.
Quitting smoking is hard, no question. Use these tried-and-true strategies to help you quit, and refer back to them as often as needed.
Why are whole grains better than refined grains?
Shortness of breath can be frightening. Most of the time, a heart or lung condition is the cause.
Tests and diagnosis
A CT scan is an imaging test that uses X-rays to produce detailed images of the inside of your body.
Echocardiogram allows your doctor to see your heart in motion. Here's what you need to know about the test.
Genetic testing is used to detect altered genes that may cause illness or disease. Although genetic testing can offer important health information, it has limitations.
Treatments and drugs
Angiotensin II receptor blockers, sometimes called angiotensin II inhibitors, treat a variety of conditions, such as high blood pressure, heart failure and scleroderma.
Beta blockers treat a variety of conditions, such as high blood pressure, glaucoma and migraines. Find out more about dosing and side effects.
Statins are effective in lowering cholesterol. But, are they a good choice for everyone? Find out more.
Jul. 29, 2014
- Aneurysm. National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/arm/printall-index.html. Accessed Feb. 15, 2013.
- Hiratzka LF, et al. 2010 ACCF/AHA/AATS/ACR/ASA/SCA/SCAI/SIR/STS/SVM guidelines for the diagnosis and management of patients with thoracic aortic disease: Executive summary. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2010;55:27. http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/121/13/1544.full.pdf. Accessed Feb. 15, 2013.
- Aortic aneurysms. The Society of Thoracic Surgeons. http://www.sts.org/patient-information/aneurysm-surgery/aortic-aneurysms. Accessed Feb. 15, 2013.
- Aortic aneurysms. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/print/cardiovascular_disorders/diseases_of_the_aorta_and_its_branches/aortic_aneurysms.html. Accessed Feb. 16, 2013.
- Papadakis MA, et al. Current Medical Diagnosis & Treatment 2013. 52nd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2013. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=1. Accessed Feb. 16, 2013.
- Marfan syndrome. National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/mar/printall-index.html. Accessed Feb. 16, 2013.
- What is EDS? Ehlers-Danlos National Foundation. http://www.ednf.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2202&Itemid=88889278. Accessed Feb. 16, 2013.
- Booher AM, et al. Diagnosis and management issues in thoracic aortic aneurysm. American Heart Journal. 2011;162:38.
- Jondeau G, et al. Genetics of thoracic aortic aneurysms. Current Atherosclerosis Report. 2012;14:219.
- Shah AA, et al. Results of thoracic endovascular aortic repair 6 years after United States Food and Drug Administration approval. Annals of Thoracic Surgery. 2012;94:1394.
- U.S. News best hospitals 2012-2013: Top-ranked hospitals for cardiology & heart surgery. http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/rankings/cardiology-and-heart-surgery. Accessed Feb. 16, 2013.
- Grogan M (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 18, 2013.
- Bowen JM (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 26, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.