A thoracic aortic aneurysm is a weakened area in the upper part of the aorta. The aorta is the major blood vessel that feeds blood to the body.
A thoracic aortic aneurysm may also be called thoracic aneurysm and aortic dissection (TAAD) because an aneurysm can lead to a tear in the artery wall (dissection) that can cause life-threatening bleeding. Small and slow-growing thoracic aortic aneurysms may not ever rupture, but large, fast-growing aneurysms may.
Depending on the size and growth rate of your thoracic aortic aneurysm, treatment may vary from watchful waiting to emergency surgery. Ideally, surgery for a thoracic aortic aneurysm can be planned if necessary.
Jul. 29, 2014
- Aneurysm. National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/arm/printall-index.html. Accessed Feb. 15, 2013.
- Hiratzka LF, et al. 2010 ACCF/AHA/AATS/ACR/ASA/SCA/SCAI/SIR/STS/SVM guidelines for the diagnosis and management of patients with thoracic aortic disease: Executive summary. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2010;55:27. http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/121/13/1544.full.pdf. Accessed Feb. 15, 2013.
- Aortic aneurysms. The Society of Thoracic Surgeons. http://www.sts.org/patient-information/aneurysm-surgery/aortic-aneurysms. Accessed Feb. 15, 2013.
- Aortic aneurysms. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/print/cardiovascular_disorders/diseases_of_the_aorta_and_its_branches/aortic_aneurysms.html. Accessed Feb. 16, 2013.
- Papadakis MA, et al. Current Medical Diagnosis & Treatment 2013. 52nd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2013. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=1. Accessed Feb. 16, 2013.
- Marfan syndrome. National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/mar/printall-index.html. Accessed Feb. 16, 2013.
- What is EDS? Ehlers-Danlos National Foundation. http://www.ednf.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2202&Itemid=88889278. Accessed Feb. 16, 2013.
- Booher AM, et al. Diagnosis and management issues in thoracic aortic aneurysm. American Heart Journal. 2011;162:38.
- Jondeau G, et al. Genetics of thoracic aortic aneurysms. Current Atherosclerosis Report. 2012;14:219.
- Shah AA, et al. Results of thoracic endovascular aortic repair 6 years after United States Food and Drug Administration approval. Annals of Thoracic Surgery. 2012;94:1394.
- U.S. News best hospitals 2012-2013: Top-ranked hospitals for cardiology & heart surgery. http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/rankings/cardiology-and-heart-surgery. Accessed Feb. 16, 2013.
- Grogan M (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 18, 2013.
- Bowen JM (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 26, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.