While mild traumatic brain injury generally results in few long-term problems, more severe injury can cause several physical, emotional, behavioral, communication and cognitive problems.
Coping and support
Treatments and drugs
Dec. 31, 2015
- Anxiety disorders. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-5. 5th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2013. http://www.psychiatryonline.org. Accessed Sept. 24, 2015.
- Anxiety disorders. National Institute of Mental Health. http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/anxiety-disorders/index.shtml. Accessed Sept. 24, 2015.
- Cook, AJ. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Sept. 14, 2015.
- Anxiety disorders. National Alliance on Mental Illness. https://www.nami.org/Learn-More/Mental-Health-Conditions/Anxiety-Disorders/Overview. Accessed Oct. 1, 2015.
- Help with anxiety disorders. American Psychiatric Association. http://www.psychiatry.org/patients-families/anxiety-disorders. Accessed Oct. 1, 2015.
- Reinhold JA, et al. Pharmacological treatment for generalized anxiety disorder in adults: An update. Expert Opinion in Pharmacotherapy. 2015;16:1669.
- Bandelow B, et al. Efficacy of treatments for anxiety disorders: A meta-analysis. International Clinical Psychopharmacology. 2015;30:183.
- Find support. National Alliance on Mental Illness. http://www.nami.org/Find-Support. Accessed Oct. 1, 2015.
- Bazzan AJ, et al. Current evidence regarding the management of mood and anxiety disorders using complementary and alternative medicine. Expert Review of Neurotherapeutics. 2014;14:411.
- Natural medicines in the clinical management of anxiety. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed Oct. 1, 2015.
- Sarris J, et al. Plant-based medicines for anxiety disorders, Part 2: A review of clinical studies with supporting preclinical evidence. CNS Drugs. 2013;27:301.
- Bystritsky A. Complementary and alternative treatments for anxiety symptoms and disorders: Herbs and medications. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 4, 2015.
- Bystritsky A. Pharmacotherapy for generalized anxiety disorder. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 4, 2015.
- Whiteside SP (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Oct. 27, 2015.
- Sawchuk CN (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Nov. 6, 2015.