Binge-eating disorder can make your life miserable and damage your health. Explore treatment strategies to overcome this common eating disorder.
Borderline personality disorder is distressing for both those who have it and those around them. With proper treatment, though, life can be more enjoyable.
Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease is a rare cause of dementia that progresses rapidly once symptoms develop.
Cyclothymia may be a mild form of bipolar disorder, but your fluctuating moods can have serious consequences. Learn about treatment options.
Delirium is a state of confused thinking and lack of awareness that often affects people with dementia, terminal illness or multiple serious medical problems.
People with dissociative disorders escape their reality in involuntary, unhealthy ways, ranging from suppressing memories to assuming alternate identities. Recovery is possible.
Fatigue can signal many things. Here are some tips to help you decipher why you're wiped out and to regain your energy.
Fatigue and widespread pain are common with fibromyalgia, a condition affecting mainly women. Treatment often focuses on managing symptoms with medication and self-care.
People with hypochondria aren't merely seeking attention. They sincerely believe they're sick. Learn about the causes and treatment of this condition.
Looking for a mental health provider but not sure where to start? Here are tips, questions to ask and issues to consider.
Mild cognitive impairment (MCI) is a transition stage between the cognitive changes of normal aging and dementias such as Alzheimer's disease.
Phobias are persistent, unreasonable fears that can affect many aspects of your life. Common phobias include a fear of snakes, open spaces and social situations.
Porphyria is a group of inherited disorders that result from buildup of natural chemicals call porphyrins, which can cause nervous system and skin problems.
Progressive supranuclear palsy — a syndrome with many similarities to Parkinson's disease — has no effective treatment, but certain medications and self-care measures can help.
Psychotherapy is one way to treat many mental illnesses. See how therapy is used and which type may be best for you.
Rabies is a serious infection that usually spreads through the bite of an animal infected with the virus.
People with schizotypal personalities have few friends, act peculiar and often entertain distorted perceptions of reality.
Spider bites — Comprehensive overview covers symptoms, complications, treatment of spider bites.
All teens feel down from time to time. But if negative feelings persist or start to interfere with daily life, it might be depression.
While mild traumatic brain injury generally results in few long-term problems, more severe injury can cause several physical, emotional, behavioral, communication and cognitive problems.
An abnormal electrical pathway in the heart causes the rapid heart rate of Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome.
Aug. 15, 2014
- Anxiety disorders. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-5. 5th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2013. http://www.psychiatryonline.org. Accessed Oct. 11, 2013.
- Highlights of changes from DSM-IV-TR to DSM-5. American Psychiatric Association. http://www.dsm5.org/Documents/changes%20from%20dsm-iv-tr%20to%20dsm-5.pdf. Accessed Oct. 8, 2013.
- Anxiety disorders. National Institute of Mental Health. http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/anxiety-disorders/index.shtml. Accessed Oct. 11, 2013.
- Facts for families: The anxious child. American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. http://www.aacap.org/AACAP/Families_and_Youth/Facts_for_Families/Facts_for_Families_Pages/The_Anxious_Child_47.aspx. Accessed Oct. 11, 2013.
- U.S. News best hospitals 2012-2013. U.S. News & World Report. http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/rankings. Accessed Dec. 10, 2013.
- Bystritsky A. Pharmacotherapy for generalized anxiety disorder. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 11, 2013.
- Mayo-Wilson E, et al. Media-delivered cognitive behavioural therapy and behavioural therapy (self-help) for anxiety disorders in adults. Cochrane Database Systematic Reviews. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD005330.pub3/abstract. Accessed Oct. 11, 2013.
- Ravindran AV, et al. Complementary and alternative therapies as add-on to pharmacotherapy for mood and anxiety disorders: A systematic review. Journal of Affective Disorders. 2013;15:707.
- Rakel D. Integrative Medicine. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Oct. 11, 2013.
- Natural medicines in the clinical management of anxiety. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed Oct. 11, 2013.
- Support & programs. National Alliance on Mental Illness. http://www.nami.org/Template.cfm?section=Find_Support. Accessed Oct. 11, 2013.
- Getting support. Anxiety and Depression Association of America. http://www.adaa.org/finding-help/getting-support. Accessed Oct. 11, 2013.
- Sarris J, et al. Plant-based medicines for anxiety disorders, Part 2: A review of clinical studies with supporting preclinical evidence. CNS Drugs. 2013;27:301.
- Kava. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed Oct. 17, 2013.
- Valerian. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed Oct. 17, 2013.
- Passionflower. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed Oct. 17, 2013.
- FDA drug safety communication: Revised recommendations for Celexa (citalopram hydrobromide) related to potential risk of abnormal heart rhythms with high doses. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/drugs/drugsafety/ucm297391.htm. Accessed Oct. 28, 2013.
- Bauer BA (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Oct. 28, 2013.
- Whiteside SP (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Nov. 27, 2013.
- Theanine. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed Dec. 3, 2013.
- Sawchuk CN (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Dec. 5, 2013.
- Hall-Flavin DK (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Dec. 5, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.