Huntington's disease — an inherited disease that causes the degeneration of brain cells — results in movement, psychiatric, cognitive disorders and eventual death.
Spider bites — Comprehensive overview covers symptoms, complications, treatment of spider bites.
While mild traumatic brain injury generally results in few long-term problems, more severe injury can cause several physical, emotional, behavioral, communication and cognitive problems.
Managing bipolar disorder can be a challenge. Stick to your treatment plan to keep mood swings under control.
Don't be a captive of your worries and fears. Control your anxiety by seeking treatment and learning coping skills.
A heart attack is an injury to heart muscle caused by reduced blood supply. Heart attack symptoms and treatments are discussed here.
Borderline personality disorder is distressing for both those who have it and those around them. With proper treatment, though, life can be more enjoyable.
Angina is a common type of chest pain caused by coronary artery disease. Unstable angina can be a warning sign of a heart attack.
Fatigue can signal many things. Here are some tips to help you decipher why you're wiped out and to regain your energy.
Treatments and drugs
Looking for a mental health provider but not sure where to start? Here are tips, questions to ask and issues to consider.
Psychotherapy is one way to treat many mental illnesses. See how therapy is used and which type may be best for you.
Apr. 09, 2014
- Anxiety disorders. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-5. 5th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2013. http://www.psychiatryonline.org. Accessed Oct. 11, 2013.
- Highlights of changes from DSM-IV-TR to DSM-5. American Psychiatric Association. http://www.dsm5.org/Documents/changes%20from%20dsm-iv-tr%20to%20dsm-5.pdf. Accessed Oct. 8, 2013.
- Anxiety disorders. National Institute of Mental Health. http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/anxiety-disorders/index.shtml. Accessed Oct. 11, 2013.
- Facts for families: The anxious child. American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. http://www.aacap.org/AACAP/Families_and_Youth/Facts_for_Families/Facts_for_Families_Pages/The_Anxious_Child_47.aspx. Accessed Oct. 11, 2013.
- U.S. News best hospitals 2012-2013. U.S. News & World Report. http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/rankings. Accessed Dec. 10, 2013.
- Bystritsky A. Pharmacotherapy for generalized anxiety disorder. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 11, 2013.
- Mayo-Wilson E, et al. Media-delivered cognitive behavioural therapy and behavioural therapy (self-help) for anxiety disorders in adults. Cochrane Database Systematic Reviews. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD005330.pub3/abstract. Accessed Oct. 11, 2013.
- Ravindran AV, et al. Complementary and alternative therapies as add-on to pharmacotherapy for mood and anxiety disorders: A systematic review. Journal of Affective Disorders. 2013;15:707.
- Rakel D. Integrative Medicine. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Oct. 11, 2013.
- Natural medicines in the clinical management of anxiety. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed Oct. 11, 2013.
- Support & programs. National Alliance on Mental Illness. http://www.nami.org/Template.cfm?section=Find_Support. Accessed Oct. 11, 2013.
- Getting support. Anxiety and Depression Association of America. http://www.adaa.org/finding-help/getting-support. Accessed Oct. 11, 2013.
- Sarris J, et al. Plant-based medicines for anxiety disorders, Part 2: A review of clinical studies with supporting preclinical evidence. CNS Drugs. 2013;27:301.
- Kava. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed Oct. 17, 2013.
- Valerian. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed Oct. 17, 2013.
- Passionflower. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed Oct. 17, 2013.
- FDA drug safety communication: Revised recommendations for Celexa (citalopram hydrobromide) related to potential risk of abnormal heart rhythms with high doses. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/drugs/drugsafety/ucm297391.htm. Accessed Oct. 28, 2013.
- Bauer BA (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Oct. 28, 2013.
- Whiteside SP (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Nov. 27, 2013.
- Theanine. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed Dec. 3, 2013.
- Sawchuk CN (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Dec. 5, 2013.
- Hall-Flavin DK (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Dec. 5, 2013.