Natural products, such as those made with L-arginine, are marketed as helpful for improving a woman's sex life. But these supplements haven't been well-studied for this use, and they're not regulated by the Food and Drug Administration.
Talk with your doctor before trying any natural therapies. These products can cause side effects and may interact with other medications. Your doctor can help determine if they are safe for you.
Feb. 14, 2015
- Ebert MH, et al. Current Diagnosis & Treatment: Psychiatry. 2nd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2008. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=10. Accessed Dec. 14, 2014.
- Sexual dysfunctions. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-5. 5th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2013. http://www.psychiatryonline.org. Accessed Oct. 6, 2014.
- Frequently asked questions. Women's health FAQ072. Your sexual health. American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. http://www.acog.org/Patients/FAQs/Your-Sexual-Health. Accessed Dec. 14, 2014.
- Longo DL, et al. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 18th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://accessmedicine.mhmedical.com/book.aspx?bookid=331. Accessed Dec. 14, 2014.
- Wein AJ, et al. Campbell-Walsh Urology. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Dec. 14, 2014.
- Laan E, et al. Standard operating procedures for female orgasmic disorder: Consensus of the International Society for Sexual Medicine. Journal of Sexual Medicine. 2013;10:74.
- Bradway C, et al. Pharmacologic therapy for female sexual dysfunction. The Nurse Practitioner. 2014;39:16.
- Bradford A. Treatment of female orgasmic disorder. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 14, 2014.
- Women's ArginMax. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed Jan. 27, 2015.
- Ito TY, et al. The enhancement of female sexual function with ArginMax, a nutritional supplement, among women differing in menopausal status. Journal of Sex & Marital Therapy. 2006;32:369.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.