You may find it difficult to cope with anorexia nervosa when you're hit with mixed messages by the media, culture, and perhaps your own family or friends. You may even have heard people joke that they wish they could have anorexia for a while so that they could lose weight.
Whether you have anorexia or your loved one has anorexia, ask your doctor or therapist for advice on coping strategies and emotional support. Learning effective coping strategies and getting the support you need from family and friends are vital to successful treatment.
Dec. 30, 2014
- Anorexia nervosa. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-5. 5th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2013. http://www.psychiatryonline.org. Accessed Nov. 13, 2014.
- Hales RE, et al. The American Psychiatric Publishing Textbook of Psychiatry. 6th ed. Washington, D.C.: American Psychiatric Publishing; 2014. http://www.psychiatryonline.org/resourceToc.aspx?resourceID=5. Accessed Nov. 13, 2014.
- Forman SF. Eating disorders: Overview of epidemiology, diagnosis, and course of illness. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 13, 2014.
- Longo DL, et al. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 18th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://accessmedicine.mhmedical.com/book.aspx?bookid=331. Accessed Nov. 13, 2014.
- Campbell K, et al. Eating disorders in children and adolescents: State of the art review. Pediatrics. In press. Accessed Nov. 13, 2014.
- Forman SF. Eating disorders: Overview of treatment. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 13, 2014.
- Anorexia nervosa. The Merck Manual Professional Edition. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/psychiatric_disorders/eating_disorders/anorexia_nervosa.html. Accessed Nov. 13, 2014.
- Breuner CC. Complementary, holistic, and integrative medicine: Eating disorders. Pediatrics in Review. 2010;31;e75.
- Complementary, alternative, or integrative health: What's in a name? National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine. http://nccam.nih.gov/health/whatiscam. Accessed Nov. 13, 2014.
- Anorexia nervosa. National Alliance on Mental Illness. http://www.nami.org/Template.cfm?Section=By_Illness&template=/ContentManagement/ContentDisplay.cfm&ContentID=7409. Accessed Nov. 13, 2014.
- Watson HJ, et al. Update on the treatment of anorexia nervosa: Review of clinical trials, practice guidelines and emerging interventions. Psychological Medicine. 2013;43:2477.
- Hensrud DD (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Nov. 18, 2014.
- Sim LA (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Dec. 8, 2014.
- Campbell K, et al. Eating disorders in children and adolescents: State of the art review. Pediatrics. 2014;134:582.
- Couturier J, et al. Efficacy of family-based treatment for adolescents with eating disorders: A systematic review and meta-analysis. International Journal of Eating Disorders. 2013;46:3.
- Mequinion M, et al. Ghrelin: Central and peripheral implications in anorexia nervosa. Frontiers in Endocrinology. 2013;4:1.