Heart disease, usually thought of as blockages in the arteries that can cause a heart attack, can describe any medical condition affecting your heart.
Myocardial ischemia is a heart problem that occurs when blood flow to your heart muscle is decreased, reducing the heart's oxygen supply.
Lifestyle and home remedies
Don't have time to exercise? Too tired to work out? Check out these easy ways to increase your physical activity.
High stress levels at work can steal the joy from life. Learn how to turn the tables on job stress, starting today.
Quitting smoking is hard, no question. Use these tried-and-true strategies to help you quit, and refer back to them as often as needed.
Convert your thoughts into actions by setting realistic and attainable weight-loss goals.
Why are whole grains better than refined grains?
Starting a fitness program is easier than you might think. Follow these five steps.
Flavorful food combinations and an inventive spirit are key ingredients for creating a tempting and healthy diet.
When you're trying to quit smoking, cravings can be powerful. Use these 10 strategies to help resist tobacco cravings.
Stress is your body's response to the demands of the world. Identifying your personal triggers is the key to effectively managing your stress.
Before you plunge into a weight-loss program, see if you're truly ready to change.
When you identify unhealthy ways of reacting to stress, you can begin to control the stress, rather than letting it control you.
Fatigue can signal many things. Here are some tips to help you decipher why you're wiped out and to regain your energy.
Sick to your stomach? Nausea and vomiting usually pass quickly but sometimes result from long-term or serious conditions.
Shortness of breath can be frightening. Most of the time, a heart or lung condition is the cause.
Tests and diagnosis
A coronary angiogram uses special X-rays to examine the inside of your heart's blood vessels. Find out what to expect when you have the procedure.
A CT scan is an imaging test that uses X-rays to produce detailed images of the inside of your body.
Echocardiogram allows your doctor to see your heart in motion. Here's what you need to know about the test.
An electrocardiogram (ECG or EKG) is a test that provides valuable clues about your heart health. Here's what you need to know about the test.
A nuclear stress test is used to diagnose heart conditions by comparing images of your heart during exercise and while at rest.
A stress test is used to diagnose coronary artery disease and heart arrhythmias, as well as guide treatment of heart disorders.
Jul. 12, 2013
- Angina. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/angina/. Accessed May 18, 2013.
- Papadakis MA, et al. Current Medical Diagnosis & Treatment 2013. 52nd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2013. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=1. Accessed May 18, 2013.
- Stock EO, et al. Cardiovascular disease in women. Current Problems in Cardiology. 2012;37:450-526.
- Angina in Women Can Be Different Than Men. American Heart Association. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/HeartAttack/WarningSignsofaHeartAttack/Angina-in-Women-Can-Be-Different-Than-Men_UCM_448902_Article.jsp. Accessed May 18, 2013.
- Kannam JP, et al. Overview of the care of patients with stable ischemic heart disease. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 18, 2013.
- Meisel JL, et al. Differential diagnosis of chest pain in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 18, 2013.
- Jneid H, et al. 2012 ACCF/AHA focused update of the guideline for the management of patients with unstable angina/Non-ST-elevation myocardial infarction (updating the 2007 guideline and replacing the 2011 focused update): A report of the American College of Cardiology Foundation/American Heart Association Task Force on practice guidelines. Circulation. 2012;126:875.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.