In rare cases, Angelman syndrome may be passed from affected parent to child through defective genes. If you're concerned about a family history of Angelman syndrome, or if you already have a child with Angelman syndrome, consider talking to your doctor or a genetic counselor for help planning future pregnancies.
Dec. 05, 2014
- NINDS Angelman syndrome information page. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/angelman/angelman.htm. Accessed Oct. 6, 2014.
- Angelman syndrome. Genetics Home Reference. http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/angelman-syndrome. Accessed Oct. 6, 2014.
- Angelman syndrome diagnostic criteria. Angelman Syndrome Foundation. http://www.angelman.org/understanding-as/medical-info/diagnostic-criteria/. Accessed Oct. 6, 2014.
- Angelman syndrome diagnostic testing. Angelman Syndrome Foundation. http://www.angelman.org/understanding-as/medical-info/diagnostic-testing/. Accessed Oct. 6, 2014.
- Bailus BJ, et al. The prospect of molecular therapy for Angelman syndrome and other monogenic neurologic disorders. BMC Neuroscience. 2014;15:76.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.