Mayo Clinic doctors trained in brain conditions (neurologists), brain surgeons (neurosurgeons), radiologists trained in brain and brain vessel imaging (neuroradiologists), and other researchers actively study brain aneurysms. Doctors trained in heart disease (cardiologists), doctors trained in blood vessel conditions (vascular medicine specialists), and heart and lung surgeons (cardiac and thoracic surgeons) study aortic and peripheral artery aneurysms. Research focuses on aneurysm development, monitoring, management and treatment. Researchers also study when aneurysms should be treated and when aneurysms may be monitored for any changes. Learn more about cardiovascular diseases research, neurology research and neurosurgery research.
Read more about brain aneurysms in Neurosciences Update.
See a list of publications on PubMed, a service of the National Library of Medicine.
Watch Mayo Clinic neurologist Robert D. Brown Jr., M.D., discuss the results of a brain aneurysm study and brain aneurysm treatment.
Mar. 27, 2014
- Thomas C. Bower, M.D.
- Robert D. Brown Jr., M.D.
- Audra A. Duncan, M.D.
- Bradley J. Erickson, M.D., Ph.D.
- Peter Gloviczki, M.D.
- John Huston III, M.D.
- David F. Kallmes, M.D.
- Manju Kalra, MBBS
- Giuseppe Lanzino, M.D.
- Michael J. Link, M.D.
- Irene Meissner, M.D.
- Fredric B. Meyer, M.D.
- National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. What is an aneurysm? http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/arm/. Accessed Sept. 22, 2013.
- Goldman L, et al. Goldman's Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 16, 2013.
- Jim J, et al. Management of symptomatic (non-ruptured) and ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 16, 2013.
- Woo YJ et al. Clinical features and diagnosis of thoracic aortic aneurysm. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 16, 2013.
- Alessandro C, et al. Clinical presentation of cerebral aneurysms. European Journal of Radiology. 2013;82:1618.
- Haines DE. Fundamental Neuroscience for Basic and Clinical Applications. 4th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2013. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 22, 2013.
- Daroff RB, et al. Bradley's Neurology in Clinical Practice. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 22, 2013.
- U.S. News best hospitals 2012-2013. U.S. News & World Report. http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/rankings. Accessed Sept. 23, 2013.
- Brown RD (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Oct. 9, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.