During pregnancy, a healthy diet is essential. Here are the nutrients that deserve special attention.
An enlarged spleen is usually a sign of an underlying problem. Treatment varies, depending on what's causing the enlargement.
Most headaches aren't caused by a serious illness, but some could be a sign of a life-threatening condition.
Shortness of breath can be frightening. Most of the time, a heart or lung condition is the cause.
Tests and diagnosis
A complete blood count can be used to evaluate your overall health, detect a wide range of disorders, or monitor a medical condition or treatment.
Aug. 19, 2014
- Your guide to anemia. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/. Accessed June 26, 2014.
- Marx JA, et al. Rosen's Emergency Medicine: Concepts and Clinical Practice. 8th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed June 26, 2014.
- Anemia. American Society of Hematology. http://www.hematology.org/Patients/Anemia/. Accessed June 26, 2014.
- Schrier SL. Approach to the adult patient with anemia. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 26, 2014.
- Anemia. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/anemia/. Accessed Feb. 7, 2013.
- Dietary supplement fact sheet: Iron. Office of Dietary Supplements. http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Iron-HealthProfessional/. Accessed May 25, 2014.
- Dietary supplement fact sheet: Folate. Office of Dietary Supplements. http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Folate-HealthProfessional/. Accessed May 25, 2014.
- Dietary supplement fact sheet: Vitamin C. Office of Dietary Supplements. http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminC-HealthProfessional/. Accessed June 26, 2014.