Celiac disease is an immune reaction to gluten, a protein found in certain foods. As a result, the body is unable to absorb some important nutrients.
Cold hands can have many causes aside from cold weather. Find out more about poor circulation that can cause cold hands.
A complete blood count can be used to evaluate your overall health, detect a wide range of disorders, or monitor a medical condition or treatment.
Dizziness has many possible causes. The cause of dizziness may be simple, or dizziness may be a sign of a more serious disorder.
An enlarged spleen is usually a sign of an underlying problem. Treatment varies, depending on what's causing the enlargement.
Fatigue can signal many things. Here are some tips to help you decipher why you're wiped out and to regain your energy.
Most headaches aren't caused by a serious illness, but some could be a sign of a life-threatening condition.
In hypopituitarism, your pituitary gland produces too little — or none — of one or more hormones. Disruption of any number of routine body functions can result.
During pregnancy, a healthy diet is essential. Here are the nutrients that deserve special attention.
Shortness of breath can be frightening. Most of the time, a heart or lung condition is the cause.
Stomach polyps are rare and usually harmless, but some types increase the risk of stomach cancer.
Takayasu's arteritis is an uncommon form of vasculitis that affects the large arteries.
Wegener's granulomatosis is an uncommon disease that causes blood vessel inflammation that can damage lungs, kidneys and other organs. Untreated, it can be fatal.
Whipple's disease is a rare bacterial infection that affects primarily the gastrointestinal system, and can be treated successfully with antibiotics.
In Zollinger-Ellison syndrome, tumors in the pancreas or duodenum secrete a hormone called gastrin that leads to excessive stomach acid and ulcers.
Aug. 19, 2014
- Your guide to anemia. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/. Accessed June 26, 2014.
- Marx JA, et al. Rosen's Emergency Medicine: Concepts and Clinical Practice. 8th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed June 26, 2014.
- Anemia. American Society of Hematology. http://www.hematology.org/Patients/Anemia/. Accessed June 26, 2014.
- Schrier SL. Approach to the adult patient with anemia. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 26, 2014.
- Anemia. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/anemia/. Accessed Feb. 7, 2013.
- Dietary supplement fact sheet: Iron. Office of Dietary Supplements. http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Iron-HealthProfessional/. Accessed May 25, 2014.
- Dietary supplement fact sheet: Folate. Office of Dietary Supplements. http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Folate-HealthProfessional/. Accessed May 25, 2014.
- Dietary supplement fact sheet: Vitamin C. Office of Dietary Supplements. http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminC-HealthProfessional/. Accessed June 26, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.