Anemia is a condition in which you don't have enough healthy red blood cells to carry adequate oxygen to the body's tissues. Having anemia may make you feel tired and weak.
There are many forms of anemia, each with its own cause. Anemia can be temporary or long term, and it can range from mild to severe. See your doctor if you suspect you have anemia because it can be a warning sign of serious illness.
Treatments for anemia range from taking supplements to undergoing medical procedures. You may be able to prevent some types of anemia by eating a healthy, varied diet.
Anemia care at Mayo Clinic
Feb. 10, 2016
- Your guide to anemia. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/files/docs/public/blood/anemia-yg.pdf. Accessed Nov. 30, 2015.
- Marx JA, et al., eds. Anemia, polycythemia and white blood cell disorders. In: Rosen's Emergency Medicine: Concepts and Clinical Practice. 8th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Nov. 30, 2015.
- Riggin EA. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Sept. 10, 2015.
- Schrier SL. Approach to the adult patient with anemia. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 30, 2015.
- Anemia. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/anemia/. Accessed Nov. 30, 2015.
- AskMayoExpert. Sickle cell disease. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Dietary supplement fact sheet: Folate. Office of Dietary Supplements. https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Folate-HealthProfessional/. Accessed Nov. 30, 2015.
- Dietary supplement fact sheet: Vitamin C. Office of Dietary Supplements. https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminC-HealthProfessional/. Accessed Nov. 30, 2015.
- Benz EJ. Treatment of beta thalassemia. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 4, 2015.
- Field JJ et al. Overview of the management and prognosis of sickle cell disease. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 4, 2015.
- Lichtman MA, et al. Structure of the marrow and the hematopoietic microenvironment. In: Williams Hematology. 8th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2010. http://accessmedicine.mhmedical.com/content.aspx?bookid=358§ionid=39835818. Accessed Dec. 4, 2015.
- Hoffman R, et al. Hematologic aspects of parasitic diseases. In: Hematology: Basic Principles and Practice. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2013. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Nov. 30, 2015.
- Kassebaum NJ, et al. A systematic analysis of global anemia burden from 1990 to 2010. Blood. 2014;123:615.
- Berns JS. Anemia of chronic kidney disease: Target hemoglobin/hematocrit for patients treated with erythropoietic agents. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 8, 2015.
- Stabler SP. Vitamin B12 deficiency. New England Journal of Medicine. 2013;368:149.
- Anemia and older adults. American Society of Hematology. http://www.hematology.org/Patients/Anemia/Adults.aspx. Accessed Dec. 9, 2015.