Treatment of anal itching depends on the cause of the problem. It may include self-care measures, changes to your diet, treatment of infections or, rarely, surgery to correct an underlying problem.
Medications that might help include:
- Over-the-counter cream or ointment containing hydrocortisone (Cortaid, Preparation H Anti-Itch Cream). Apply sparingly to the affected area to reduce inflammation and itching.
- A protective ointment that contains zinc oxide (Desitin, Balmex). Applied to the affected area, this also may help.
- Antihistimine. If your symptoms are worse at night, your doctor may prescribe an antihistamine to reduce itching until topical treatments take effect.
- Anti-parasite treatment. Several medications are available for treating pinworm infections. A single dose may cure the infection, but often a second dose is given one to two weeks later.
With proper treatment, most people experience relief from anal itching in less than a week. Anal itching that continues for more than one to two months needs to be evaluated by your doctor.
Oct. 09, 2012
- Breen E, et al. Approach to the patient with anal pruritus. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index. Accessed Aug. 10, 2012.
- Markell KW, et al. Pruritus ani: Etiology and management. Surgical Clinics of North America 2010;90:125.
- McPhee SJ, et al., eds. Current Medical Diagnosis & Treatment 2012. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=747. Accessed Aug. 9, 2012.
- Pruritis ani. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/gastrointestinal_disorders/anorectal_disorders/pruritus_ani.html?qt=Pruritus%20Ani&sc=&alt=sh. Assessed Aug. 9, 2012.
- MacLean J, et al. Pruritis ani. Australian Family Physician. 2010;39:366.
- Stermer E, et al. Pruritus ani: An approach to an itching condition. Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition. 2009;48:513.
- Pruritus ani. American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons. http://www.fascrs.org/patients/conditions/pruritus_ani/. Accessed Aug. 10, 2012.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.