Mayo Clinic surgeons have extensive experience with anal fistula, treating more than 700 people every year.
Leading-edge diagnosis and treatment
Mapping the fistula tracts and identifying internal openings can be difficult, especially for severe cases. Mayo Clinic specialists use state-of-the-art imaging technology to trace the pathways of anal fistulas, including endoscopic ultrasound, fistulography, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and flexible sigmoidoscopy.
Mayo Clinic doctors offer the latest treatment therapies to help eradicate anal fistula while preserving healthy tissue and normal function. Treatment options include seton placement, fibrin glue and ligation of the intersphincteric fistula tract (LIFT) for complex anal fistula, as well as standard fistulotomy.
Nationally recognized expertise
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., ranks No. 1 for digestive disorders in the U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals rankings. Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Ariz., and Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., are ranked among the Best Hospitals for digestive disorders by U.S. News & World Report. Mayo Clinic also ranks among the Best Children's Hospitals for digestive disorders.
Aug. 24, 2017
- Abscess and fistula expanded information. American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons. https://www.fascrs.org/patients/disease-condition/abscess-and-fistula-expanded-information. Accessed March 17, 2017.
- Feldman M, et al. Diseases of the anorectum. In: Sleisenger and Fordtran's Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, Management. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2016. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed March 17, 2017.
- Breen E, et al. Anorectal fistula: Clinical manifestations, diagnosis, and management principles. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 17, 2017.
- Anorectal fistula (fistula in ano). Merck Manual Professional Version. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/gastrointestinal-disorders/anorectal-disorders/anorectal-fistula. Accessed March 17, 2017.
- Sneider EB, et al. Anal abscess and fistula. Gastroenterology Clinics of North America. 2013;42:773.
- Champagne BJ. Operative management of anorectal fistulas. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 17, 2017.
- Brown AY. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 25, 2017.
- Rajan E (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 24, 2017.