Difficulty swallowing can be painful and may indicate a serious medical problem.
Fatigue can signal many things. Here are some tips to help you decipher why you're wiped out and to regain your energy.
Shortness of breath can be frightening. Most of the time, a heart or lung condition is the cause.
Tests and diagnosis
Urinalysis can be used to assess your overall health, detect a wide range of disorders, or monitor a medical condition or treatment.
Treatments and drugs
Find out what to expect before and after your liver transplant.
Jul. 29, 2014
- Gorevic PD. An overview of amyloidsosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 4, 2014.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2014: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 4, 2014.
- AskMayoExpert. When should light chain amyloidosis be suspected? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Rajkumar SV. Clinical presentation, laboratory manifestations and diagnosis of immunoglobulin light chain (AL) amyloidosis (primary amyloidosis). http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 4, 2014.
- Gorevic PD. Causes and diagnosis of secondary (AA) amyloidosis and relation to rheumatic diseases. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 4, 2014.
- Hoffman R, et al. Hematology: Basic Principles and Practice. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2013. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 5, 2014.
- Gertz MA. Immunoglobulin light chain amyloidosis: 2013 update on diagnosis, prognosis, and treatment. American Journal of Hematology. 2013;88:417.
- Dispenzieri A, et al. What do I need to know about immunoglobulin light chain (AL) amyloidosis? Blood Reviews. 2012;26:137.
- Vrana JA, et al. Clinical diagnosis and typing of systemic amyloidosis in subcutaneous fat aspirates by mass spectrometry-based proteomics. Haematologica. In press. Accessed May 5, 2014.
- Warsame R, et al. Outcomes and treatments of patients with immunoglobulin light chain amyloidosis who progress or relapse postautologous stem cell transplant. European Journal of Haematology. In press. Accessed May 5, 2014.
- Dispenzieri A, et al. High sensitivity cardiac troponin T in patients with immunoglobulin light chain amyloidosis. Heart. 2014;100:383.
- Cook AJ. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 8, 2014.
- Gorevic PD. Genetic factors in the amyloid diseases. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 11, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.