Your Mayo Clinic care team
Amyloidosis is often overlooked. Mayo Clinic has doctors who specialize in diagnosing and treating protein disorders of the blood, such as amyloidosis. Our hematologists work closely with doctors who specialize in pathology, transplantation and cancer, as well as in diseases of the brain and nervous system, heart, and kidneys. Together, they make your health care experience seamless.
Advanced diagnosis and treatment
Mayo Clinic specialists use the latest technology to pinpoint the type of amyloidosis you have. That information is important in determining the most effective treatment for you.
Mayo Clinic transplant centers are leaders in the use of blood stem cell transplants to treat amyloidosis. Mayo Clinic specialists are also researching novel treatments for amyloidosis.
Nationally recognized expertise
Mayo Clinic, in conjunction with the International Myeloma Working Group, developed diagnostic criteria for AL amyloidosis. Mayo Clinic researchers also have published studies advising hematologists on how to diagnose amyloidosis.
July 07, 2017
- Gorevic PD. An overview of amyloidsosis. https://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 27, 2017.
- Ferri FF. Amyloidosis. In: Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2017. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier; 2017. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed April 27, 2017.
- AskMayoExpert. Renal amyloidosis (adult). Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2016.
- Rajkumar SV. Clinical presentation, laboratory manifestations and diagnosis of immunoglobulin light chain (AL) amyloidosis (primary amyloidosis). https://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 27, 2017.
- Gorevic PD. Pathogenesis of secondary (AA) amyloidosis. https://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 27, 2017.
- AskMayoExpert. Cardiac amyloidosis. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2016.
- Gertz MA. Immunoglobulin light chain amyloidosis: 2016 update on diagnosis, prognosis, and treatment. American Journal of Hematology. 2016;91:947.
- Dispenzieri A, et al. Treatment of Immunoglobulin Light Chain Amyloidosis: Mayo Stratification of Myeloma and Risk-Adapted Therapy (mSMART) Consensus Statement. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2015;90:1054.
- McKenna WJ. Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of amyloid cardiomyopathy. https://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 16, 2017.
- Maurer MS, et al. Genotype and Phenotype of Transthyretin Cardiac Amyloidosis. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2016;68:161.
- Brown AY. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 30, 2017.
- Gorevic PD. Genetic factors in the amyloid diseases. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 27, 2017.
- Gertz MA (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 1, 2017.
- Rajkumar SV, et al. International Myeloma Working Group updated criteria for the diagnosis of multiple myeloma. The Lancet oncology. 2014;15:e538.