Low blood pressure (hypotension) can be a sign of good health or of a life-threatening condition. Find out more about hypotension's causes and treatment options.
As the end of pregnancy nears, you may be eagerly anticipating labor and delivery. How will you know when labor begins? Look for these clues.
Shortness of breath can be frightening. Most of the time, a heart or lung condition is the cause.
Tachycardia, a rapid heart rate, is caused by an abnormality in your heart's electrical impulses. Tachycardia can cause serious complications, including sudden cardiac arrest.
Treatments and drugs
Sept. 27, 2012
- Monga M. Amniotic fluid embolism: A diagnostic dilemma. Critical Care Medicine. 2012;40:2236.
- Kramer MS, et al. Amniotic fluid embolism: Incidence, risk factors and impact on perinatal outcome. British Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology. 2012;119:874.
- Knight M, et al. Amniotic fluid embolism incidence, risk factors and outcomes: A review and recommendations. BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth. 2012;12:7.
- Caputo M, et al. Severe ischemic complications caused by second trimester amniotic fluid embolism. International Journal of Gynaecology and Obstetrics. 2012;116:175.
- Benson MD. Current concepts of immunology and diagnosis in amniotic fluid embolism. Clinical and Developmental Immunology. 2012;2012:1.
- Roberts CL, et al. Amniotic fluid embolism in an Australian population-based cohort. British Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology. 2010;117:1417.
- Tintinalli JE, et al. Tintinalli's Emergency Medicine: A Comprehensive Study Guide. 7th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill; 2011. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=6363736. Accessed July 18, 2012.
- DeCherney AH, et al. Current Diagnosis & Treatment Obstetrics & Gynecology.10th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2007. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=9. Accessed July 18, 2012.
- Cunningham FG, et al. Williams Obstetrics. 23rd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2010. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=46. Accessed July 18, 2012.
- Sibai BM. Management of Acute Obstetric Emergencies. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011:71.
- Dorland's Illustrated Medical Dictionary. 32nd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: W.B. Saunders; 2011. http://dorlands.com/index.jsp. Accessed July 26, 2012.
- Abenhaim HA, et al. Incidence and risk factors of amniotic fluid embolisms: A population-based study on 3 million births in the United States. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2008;199:49.e1.
- Gist RS, et al. Amniotic fluid embolism. Anesthesia and Analgesia. 2009;108:1599.
- Baldisseri MR. Amniotic fluid embolism syndrome. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed July 31, 2012.