Many people have astigmatism, an irregular curvature of the eye's surface that can cause blurred vision. Treatments include corrective lenses and laser surgery.
Eye exam — Overview covers definition, what to expect and results of vision testing.
With farsightedness (hyperopia) you can see objects in the distance clearly, but objects nearby are blurry. It's easily corrected with eyeglasses or contact lenses.
Nearsightedness allows you to see objects near to you clearly, but objects farther away look blurry. It's easily corrected with eyeglasses or contact lenses.
Apr. 19, 2014
- Wolff K, et al. Fitzpatrick's Dermatology in General Medicine. 8th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=740. Accessed Nov. 21, 2013.
- Albinism. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Health Care Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/dermatologic_disorders/pigmentation_disorders/albinism.html?qt=&sc=&alt=. Accessed Nov. 21, 2013.
- Levin AV, et al. Albinism for the busy clinician. Journal of AAPOS. 2011;1:59.
- What is albinism? National Organization for Albinism and Hypopigmentation (NOAH). http://www.albinism.org/publications/2010/What_is_Albinism.pdf. Accessed Nov. 21, 2013.
- Summers CG. Albinism: Classification, clinical characteristics and recent findings. Optometry and Vision Science. 2009;86:659.
- Gronskov K, et al. Oculocutaneous albinism. Orphanet Journal of Rare Diseases. 2007;2:43.
- Brodsky MC (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Dec. 15, 2013.
- Hand JL (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Dec. 13, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.