Because albinism is a genetic disorder, treatment is limited. But getting proper eye care and monitoring skin for signs of abnormalities are especially important to your child's health.
- Your child will most likely need to wear prescription lenses, and he or she should receive annual eye exams by an ophthalmologist. Although surgery is rarely part of treatment for albinism, your ophthalmologist may recommend surgery on optical muscles to minimize nystagmus. Surgery to correct strabismus may make the condition less noticeable, but it won't improve vision.
- Your doctor should conduct an annual assessment of your child's skin to screen for skin cancer or lesions that can lead to cancer. Adults with albinism need annual eye and skin exams throughout their lives.
People with Hermansky-Pudlak and Chediak-Higashi syndromes usually require regular specialized care to prevent complications.
Apr. 19, 2014
- Wolff K, et al. Fitzpatrick's Dermatology in General Medicine. 8th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=740. Accessed Nov. 21, 2013.
- Albinism. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Health Care Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/dermatologic_disorders/pigmentation_disorders/albinism.html?qt=&sc=&alt=. Accessed Nov. 21, 2013.
- Levin AV, et al. Albinism for the busy clinician. Journal of AAPOS. 2011;1:59.
- What is albinism? National Organization for Albinism and Hypopigmentation (NOAH). http://www.albinism.org/publications/2010/What_is_Albinism.pdf. Accessed Nov. 21, 2013.
- Summers CG. Albinism: Classification, clinical characteristics and recent findings. Optometry and Vision Science. 2009;86:659.
- Gronskov K, et al. Oculocutaneous albinism. Orphanet Journal of Rare Diseases. 2007;2:43.
- Brodsky MC (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Dec. 15, 2013.
- Hand JL (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Dec. 13, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.