Agoraphobia is diagnosed based on:
- Signs and symptoms
- In-depth interview with your doctor or a mental health professional
- Physical exam to rule out other conditions that could be causing your symptoms
- Criteria for agoraphobia listed in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5), published by the American Psychiatric Association
March 22, 2017
- Anxiety disorders. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-5. 5th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2013. http://www.psychiatryonline.org. Accessed Dec. 27, 2016.
- Understanding mental disorders: A patient and family resource ― Agoraphobia. http://psychiatryonline.org/doi/abs/10.1176/appi.books.9781615370740.umd15. Accessed Dec. 27, 2016.
- Anxiety disorders. Natural Medicines. https://naturalmedicines.therapeuticresearch.com. Accessed Dec. 27, 2016.
- Ravindran AV, et al. Complementary and alternative therapies as add-on to pharmacotherapy for mood and anxiety disorders: A systematic review. Journal of Affective Disorders. 2013;150:707.
- Craske MG, et al. Anxiety. The Lancet. 2017;388:3048.
- Olthuis JV, et al. Therapist-supported internet cognitive behavioural therapy for anxiety disorders in adults. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD011565.pub2/abstract. Accessed Dec. 27, 2016.
- Anxiety disorders. National Institute of Mental Health. https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/anxiety-disorders/index.shtml#part_145338. Accessed Dec. 27, 2016.
- McCabe RE. Agoraphobia in adults: Epidemiology, pathogenesis, clinical manifestations, course, and diagnosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 27, 2016.
- Kava. Natural Medicines. https://naturalmedicines.therapeuticresearch.com. Accessed Jan. 10, 2017.
- Krieger CA (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 11, 2017.
- Sawchuk CN (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 13, 2017.
- Kava. National Center for Complementary and Integrative Medicine. https://nccih.nih.gov/health/kava. Accessed Jan. 19, 2017.