You're likely to start by seeing your primary care doctor. He or she may refer you to a dermatologist.
Your doctor is likely to ask you a number of questions, such as:
- When did you first notice the spots on your skin?
- Did the spots appear gradually or quickly?
- Have you noticed any other changes in the appearance of your skin?
- Is the condition itchy, tender or otherwise bothersome?
- Have you experienced frequent or severe sunburns?
- How often are you exposed to the sun or UV radiation?
- Do you regularly protect your skin from UV radiation?
- What kind of sun protection do you use?
Questions for your doctor
Questions you may want to ask your doctor include:
- What suspicious changes in my skin should I look for?
- If the spots are age spots, what can I do to improve the appearance of my skin?
- Do treatments make them go away completely, or do they just lighten the age spots?
- Could these spots turn into skin cancer?