Before taking vitamin and mineral supplements, understand what they will and won't do for you.
Coping and support
Facing a major life change or a serious illness? Don't go it alone. A support group can connect you with others in the same boat.
Treatments and drugs
Cognitive behavioral therapy is one of the most common types of psychotherapy. It focuses on specific issues and goals to improve your life.
Illness, conflicts and emotional turmoil can disrupt relationships with your partner, children or parents. See how family therapy might help.
No relationship is perfect. If you and your partner are struggling, marriage counseling might help you resolve differences and rekindle love.
Mar. 07, 2013
- Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-IV-TR. 4th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2000. http://www.psychiatryonline.com. Accessed Jan. 7, 2013.
- Stimulants and nonstimulants for ADHD. Psychiatryonline. http://psychiatryonline.org/content.aspx?bookid=27§ionid=1332352#228315. Accessed Jan. 7, 2013.
- ADHD factsheet. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/adhd/. Accessed Jan. 7, 2013.
- Attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder. National Institute of Mental Health. http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/attention-deficit-hyperactivity-disorder/index.shtml. Accessed Jan. 7, 2013.
- Michielsen M, et al. The comorbidity of anxiety and depressive symptoms in older adults with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder: A longitudinal study. Journal of Affective Disorders. In press. Accessed Jan. 7, 2013.
- Brook JS, et al. Adolescent ADHD and adult physical and mental health, work performance and financial stress. Pediatrics. 2013;131:5.
- Skirrow C, et al. Emotional liability, comorbidity and impairment in adults with attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder. Journal of Affective Disorders. In press. Accessed Jan. 7, 2013.
- Goodman DW, et al. Assessment of physician practices in adult attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder. The Primary Care Companion for CNS Disorders. In press. Accessed Jan. 7, 2013.
- What we know: Succeeding in the workplace. National Resource Center on AD/HD, http://www.help4adhd.org/en/living/workplace/WWK16/. Accessed Jan. 7, 2013.
- What we know: Coaching for Adults with AD/HD. National Resource Center on AD/HD. http://www.help4adhd.org/en/living/coaching/WWK18. Accessed Jan. 7, 2013.
- What we know: Interacting with others — Tips for adults with AD/HD. National Resource Center on AD/HD. http://www.help4adhd.org/en/living/relandsoc/WWK15S. Accessed Jan. 7, 2013.
- Bader A, et al. Complementary and alternative therapies for children and adolescents with ADHD. Current Opinion in Pediatrics. 2012;24:760.
- Searight HR, et al. Adult attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 7, 2013.
- Jensen PS (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 31, 2013.
- Swintak CC (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 21, 2013.
- Lindstrom K, et al. Preterm birth and attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder in school children. Pediatrics. 2011;127:858.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.