While the exact cause of ADHD is not clear, research efforts continue.
Multiple factors have been implicated in the development of ADHD. It can run in families, and studies indicate that genes may play a role. Certain environmental factors also may increase risk, as can problems with the central nervous system at key moments in development.
March 07, 2013
- Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-IV-TR. 4th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2000. http://www.psychiatryonline.com. Accessed Jan. 7, 2013.
- Stimulants and nonstimulants for ADHD. Psychiatryonline. http://psychiatryonline.org/content.aspx?bookid=27§ionid=1332352#228315. Accessed Jan. 7, 2013.
- ADHD factsheet. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/adhd/. Accessed Jan. 7, 2013.
- Attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder. National Institute of Mental Health. http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/attention-deficit-hyperactivity-disorder/index.shtml. Accessed Jan. 7, 2013.
- Michielsen M, et al. The comorbidity of anxiety and depressive symptoms in older adults with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder: A longitudinal study. Journal of Affective Disorders. In press. Accessed Jan. 7, 2013.
- Brook JS, et al. Adolescent ADHD and adult physical and mental health, work performance and financial stress. Pediatrics. 2013;131:5.
- Skirrow C, et al. Emotional liability, comorbidity and impairment in adults with attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder. Journal of Affective Disorders. In press. Accessed Jan. 7, 2013.
- Goodman DW, et al. Assessment of physician practices in adult attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder. The Primary Care Companion for CNS Disorders. In press. Accessed Jan. 7, 2013.
- What we know: Succeeding in the workplace. National Resource Center on AD/HD, http://www.help4adhd.org/en/living/workplace/WWK16/. Accessed Jan. 7, 2013.
- What we know: Coaching for Adults with AD/HD. National Resource Center on AD/HD. http://www.help4adhd.org/en/living/coaching/WWK18. Accessed Jan. 7, 2013.
- What we know: Interacting with others — Tips for adults with AD/HD. National Resource Center on AD/HD. http://www.help4adhd.org/en/living/relandsoc/WWK15S. Accessed Jan. 7, 2013.
- Bader A, et al. Complementary and alternative therapies for children and adolescents with ADHD. Current Opinion in Pediatrics. 2012;24:760.
- Searight HR, et al. Adult attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 7, 2013.
- Jensen PS (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 31, 2013.
- Swintak CC (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 21, 2013.
- Lindstrom K, et al. Preterm birth and attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder in school children. Pediatrics. 2011;127:858.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.