MRI uses a magnetic field and radio waves to create detailed images of the organs and tissues within your body.
At some point, many women experience painful intercourse — for many different reasons. Here's how to discuss the problem and get treatment.
A pelvic exam may be done as a part of a routine checkup to evaluate your gynecologic health or to help diagnose a medical condition.
Ultrasound imaging uses high-frequency sound waves to create images of structures in your body.
Jun. 07, 2012
- Stewart EA. Uterine adenomyosis. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed April 18, 2012.
- Garcia L, et al. Adenomyosis: A review of the literature. Journal of Minimally Invasive Gynecology. 2011;18:428.
- Schorge JO, et al. Williams Gynecology. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2008. http://accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=514. Accessed April 23, 2012.
- Lentz GM, et al. Comprehensive Gynecology. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-06986-1..C2009-0-48752-X--TOP&isbn=978-0-323-06986-1&uniqId=325227117-5. Accessed April 24, 2012.
- Dysmenorrhea. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/home/womens_health_issues/menstrual_disorders_and_abnormal_vaginal_bleeding/dysmenorrhea.html. Accessed April 19, 2012.
- Dysfunctional uterine bleeding. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/home/womens_health_issues/menstrual_disorders_and_abnormal_vaginal_bleeding/dysfunctional_uterine_bleeding.html. Accessed April 23, 2012.
- Meredith SM, et al. Diagnostic accuracy of transvaginal sonography for the diagnosis of adenomyosis: Systematic review and metaanalysis. American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2009;201:107.e1.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.