- Collaboration. At Mayo Clinic, hematologists form a multidisciplinary team with hematology nurses, pathologists, social workers and transplant specialists to provide whole-person care to those with acute myelogenous leukemia. Other professionals are included as needed.
- Experience. Mayo Clinic doctors have extensive experience diagnosing and treating leukemias of all types. Each year, more than 800 people with acute myelogenous leukemia receive care at Mayo Clinic. This experience means your care team is prepared with the knowledge and resources to provide you with exactly the care you need.
- A full range of treatment options. Mayo Clinic doctors will work with you to review all of your treatment options and choose the treatment that best suits your needs and goals. The range of treatments offered includes chemotherapy, stem cell transplant, targeted drug therapy and radiation therapy.
- Comprehensive cancer center. Mayo Clinic Cancer Center meets strict standards for a National Cancer Institute comprehensive cancer center, which recognizes scientific excellence and a multidisciplinary approach to cancer prevention, diagnosis and treatment.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., and Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Ariz., are ranked among the Best Hospitals for cancer by U.S. News & World Report.
Sept. 12, 2015
- Niederhuber JE, et al., eds. Acute leukemias in adults. In: Abeloff's Clinical Oncology. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed March 18, 2015.
- Hoffman R, et al. Clinical manifestations and treatment of acute myelogenous leukemia. In: Hematology: Basic Principles and Practice. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2013. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed March 18, 2015.
- Adult acute myeloid leukemia treatment (PDQ). National Cancer Institute. http://www.cancer.gov/types/leukemia/patient/adult-aml-treatment-pdq. Accessed May 21, 2015.
- Leukemia — acute myeloid — AML. Cancer.Net. http://www.cancer.net/cancer-types/leukemia-acute-myeloid-aml/view-all. Accessed May 21, 2015.
- Integrative medicine & complementary and alternative therapies as part of blood cancer care. Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. http://www.lls.org/#/resourcecenter/freeeducationmaterials/treatment/integrativemedandcam. Accessed March 18, 2015.
- Cook AJ. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 18, 2015.