Acute coronary syndrome is a term used to describe a range of conditions associated with sudden, reduced blood flow to the heart.
One condition under the umbrella of acute coronary syndrome is myocardial infarction (heart attack) — when cell death results in damaged or destroyed heart tissue. Even when acute coronary syndrome causes no cell death, the reduced blood flow alters heart function and indicates a high risk of heart attack.
Acute coronary syndrome often causes severe chest pain or discomfort. It is a medical emergency that requires prompt diagnosis and care. Treatment goals include improving blood flow, treating complications and preventing future problems.
May 06, 2016
- Acute coronary syndrome. Merck Manual Professional Version. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/SearchResults?query=acute+coronary+syndrome. Accessed Feb. 9, 2016.
- Timmis A. Acute coronary syndromes. BMJ. 2015;351:h5153.
- Reeder GS, et al. Initial evaluation and management of suspected acute coronary syndrome (myocardial infarction, unstable angina) in the emergency room. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 9, 2016.
- Who is at risk for coronary heart disease? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/cad/atrisk. Accessed Feb. 11, 2016.
- Myocardial perfusion imaging (MPI) test. American Heart Association. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/HeartAttack/SymptomsDiagnosisofHeartAttack/Myocardial-Perfusion-Imaging-MPI-Test_UCM_446352_Article.jsp#.VtMi8xh4yPU. Accessed Feb. 12, 2016.
- Prem S, et al. Noninvasive imaging and stress testing in patients with suspected acute coronary syndrome. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 12, 2016.
- Cardiac medications. American Heart Association. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/HeartAttack/PreventionTreatmentofHeartAttack/Cardiac-Medications_UCM_303937_Article.jsp#.VtMjlhh4yPU. Accessed Feb. 12, 2016.
- Cayla G, et al. Updates and current recommendations for the management of patients with non-ST-elevation acute coronary syndromes: What it means for clinical practice. American Journal of Cardiology. 2015;115:10A.
- Cardiac procedures and surgeries. American Heart Association. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/HeartAttack/PreventionTreatmentofHeartAttack/Cardiac-Procedures-and-Surgeries_UCM_303939_Article.jsp#.VtMj5hh4yPU. Accessed Feb. 12, 2016.