Acute coronary syndrome is often diagnosed in emergency situations, and your doctor will perform a number of tests to figure out the cause of your symptoms.
If you're having chest pain or pressure regularly, tell your doctor about it. Your doctor will probably order several tests to figure out the cause of your chest pain. These tests may include a blood draw to check your cholesterol and blood sugar levels. If you need these tests, you'll need to fast to get the most accurate results. Your doctor will tell you if you need to fast before having these tests, and for how long.
Your doctor may also want to perform imaging tests to check for blockages in your heart and the blood vessels leading to it.
May. 07, 2013
- Acute coronary syndromes. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/print/cardiovascular_disorders/coronary_artery_disease/acute_coronary_syndromes_acs.html. Accessed April 2, 2013.
- Acute coronary syndromes. American Heart Association. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/HeartAttack/AboutHeartAttacks/Acute-Coronary-Syndrome_UCM_428752_Article.jsp. Accessed April 2, 2013.
- Diagnosis and treatment of chest pain and acute coronary syndrome (ACS). Bloomington, Minn.: Institute for Clinical Systems Improvement. https://www.icsi.org/_asset/ydv4b3/ACS-Interactive1112b.pdf. Accessed March 27, 2013.
- What is angina? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/angina/printall-index.html. Accessed April 2, 2013.
- Ryan TJ, et al. Initial evaluation and management of suspected acute coronary syndrome in the emergency department. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 1, 2013.
- What do my cholesterol levels mean? American Heart Association. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/Cholesterol/CholesterolToolsResources/Downloadable-Documents-for-Cholesterol_UCM_305648_Article.jsp. Accessed April 1, 2013.
- What is coronary heart disease? National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/cad/printall-index.html. Accessed April 2, 2013.
- Alcoholic beverages and cardiovascular disease. American Heart Association. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/NutritionCenter/Alcoholic-Beverages-and-Cardiovascular-Disease_UCM_305864_Article.jsp. Accessed March 22, 2013.
- Grogan M (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 22, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.