Overuse injuries can be avoided — if you know how to pace yourself. Follow these tips to stay injury-free.
Foot pain? Headache? Sore throat? Skin rash? Use the Symptom Checker to find out what's causing your symptom.
Tests and diagnosis
MRI uses a magnetic field and radio waves to create detailed images of the organs and tissues within your body.
Treatments and drugs
A knee brace may reduce osteoarthritis pain in your knee by shifting the force of your weight off the damaged part of your knee when you walk.
Dec. 22, 2015
- Friedberg RP. Anterior cruciate ligament injury. http://www.uptodate.com. Accessed Oct. 10, 2015.
- Frontera WR. Anterior cruciate ligament tear. In: Essentials of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation: Musculoskeletal Disorders, Pain, and Rehabilitation. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2015. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Oct. 22, 2015.
- Anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) injuries. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00549. Accessed Oct. 15, 2015.
- ACL injury: Does it require surgery? American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00297. Accessed Oct. 15, 2015.
- Shea KG, et al. The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons evidence-based guideline on management of anterior cruciate ligament injuries. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. 2015;97:672.
- Knee arthroscopy exercise guide. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00300. Accessed Oct. 15. 2015.
- Stuart MJ (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Oct. 28, 2015.
- Peterson JR, et al. Anterior cruciate ligament injury: Mechanisms of injury and strategies for injury prevention. Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Clinics of North America. 2014;25:813.
- ACL injuries in young athletes. Stop Sport Injuries. American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine. http://www.stopsportsinjuries.org/acl-injury-prevention.aspx. Accessed Nov. 24, 2015.