Although it's possible to have no signs or symptoms with an Achilles tendon rupture, most people experience:
- Pain, possibly severe, and swelling near your heel
- An inability to bend your foot downward or "push off" the injured leg when you walk
- An inability to stand up on your toes on the injured leg
- A popping or snapping sound when the injury occurs
When to see your doctor
Seek medical advice immediately if you feel a pop or snap in your heel, especially if you can't walk properly afterward.
Sep. 23, 2011
- Baer GS, et al. Achilles tendon rupture. In: DeLee JC, et al. DeLee & Drez's Orthopaedic Sports Medicine: Principles and Practice. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-3143-7..X0001-2--TOP&isbn=978-1-4160-3143-7&uniqId=230100505-57. Accessed July 21, 2011.
- Ham P, et al. Achilles tendinopathy and tendon rupture. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed July 21, 2011.
- Khan RJ, et al. Surgical interventions for treating acute Achilles tendon ruptures (review). Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. 2010:CD003674.
- Mercier LR. Achilles tendon rupture. In: Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2011: Instant Diagnosis and Treatment. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05610-6..C2009-0-38600-6--TOP&isbn=978-0-323-05610-6&about=true&uniqId=230100505-53. Accessed July 21, 2011.
- Carr JB. Achilles tendon rupture. In: Browner BD, et al. Skeletal Trauma. 4th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: W.B. Saunders Co.; 2008. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/page.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-2220-6..10060-X--s0630&isbn=978-1-4160-2220-6&sid=1182706148&uniqId=268192316-4#4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-2220-6..10060-X--s0630. Accessed July 21, 2011.
- Laskowski ER (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 26, 2011.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.