- Expertise. Each year, Mayo Clinic doctors diagnose and treat more than 400 people with achalasia. Specialists at Mayo Clinic are skilled in distinguishing achalasia from other digestive tract disorders, and use state-of-the-art imaging to pinpoint the cause of your problem.
- Minimally invasive approach. If you need surgery for achalasia, surgeons at Mayo Clinic often use a device called a laparoscope that allows them to perform surgery with only minor incisions. Laparoscopic procedures usually involve less pain and have a faster recovery period than traditional surgery.
- Surgery with no outer incision. Peroral endoscopic myotomy (POEM) is available for treating achalasia at Mayo Clinic. In this technique, doctors use instruments attached to a lighted, video-equipped tube (endoscope) passed through the mouth and esophagus to make an internal incision in the muscular valve at the lower end of the esophagus. The POEM procedure doesn't require an incision through the abdomen.
- New ideas. Researchers at Mayo Clinic are researching new treatments for achalasia. You have access to the expertise of Mayo Clinic clinician-researchers.
Why choose Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., ranks #1 for digestive disorders in the U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals rankings. Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Ariz., is ranked among the Best Hospitals and Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., is ranked high performing for digestive disorders by U.S. News & World Report.
Mayo Clinic: Answers you can trust
At Mayo Clinic, we assemble a team of specialists who take the time to listen and thoroughly understand your health issues and concerns. We tailor the care you receive to your personal health care needs. You can trust our specialists to collaborate and offer you the best possible outcomes, safety and service.
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit medical institution that reinvests all earnings into improving medical practice, research and education. We're constantly involved in innovation and medical research, finding solutions to improve your care and quality of life. Your doctor or someone on your medical team is likely involved in research related to your condition.
Our patients tell us that the quality of their interactions, our attention to detail and the efficiency of their visits mean health care — and trusted answers — like they've never experienced.
Why Choose Mayo Clinic
What Sets Mayo Clinic Apart
March 31, 2015
- Boeckxstaens GE, et al. Achalasia. The Lancet. 2014;383:83.
- Vela MF. Management strategies for achalasia. Neurogastroenterology & Motility. 2014;26:1215.
- Golden, AK. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 18, 2015.
- Spechler SJ. Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of achalasia. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 18, 2015.
- Spechler SJ. Overview of the treatment of achalasia. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 18, 2015.
- Krishnamohan P, et al. Long-term outcome after laparoscopic myotomy for achalasia. The Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery. 2014;147:730.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.