Treatment for diabetic nephropathy focuses on slowing its progression and managing your high blood pressure (hypertension) and protein in your urine (proteinuria). You'll receive a customized treatment plan, which may include:
- Management of proteinuria. Medications can reduce the level of albumin, a protein, and improve kidney function.
- High blood pressure management. Medications, diet and physical activity can help control high blood pressure.
- Blood sugar control. Medications, diet and physical activity can help control your blood sugar levels.
- Medication review. Nephrologists and nurse specialists will review your current medications and adjust dosages or change medications if necessary.
- Preventive measures for complications from contrast dye studies. You'll receive information about your risks of increased kidney damage from medical tests that involve the use of contrast dye.
- Special dietary plan. Dietitians can provide you with a personalized dietary plan and nutrition advice, including ways to limit salt, protein, caffeine and alcohol.
- Cholesterol control. You'll be advised on diet, physical activity and medications to help control cholesterol levels.
- Treatment of anemia. You'll be assessed for anemia (a decreased number of red blood cells) and receive medication if necessary.
- Bone health. Diet and medications may help manage your calcium phosphate balance, which is important in maintaining healthy bones.
- Anti-platelet therapy. Your doctor may prescribe a low dose of daily aspirin to prevent blood clots, unless you can't take daily aspirin because of side effects.
- Other lifestyle changes. Team members can provide information on how to make other healthy lifestyle changes, such as programs for stopping smoking, exercise programs and weight management suggestions.
If you have end-stage kidney disease, treatment may include:
- Dialysis. Mayo Clinic offers state-of-the-art dialysis treatment including the option for in-home dialysis.
- Kidney transplant. The Mayo Clinic kidney transplant program offers pre-transplant consultation, living donor evaluation, kidney transplantation and post-transplantation care.