In some cases, coronary angiograms are performed on an emergency basis. More commonly, though, they're scheduled in advance, giving you time to prepare.
Angiograms are performed in the catheterization (cath) lab of a hospital. Your health care team will give you specific instructions and talk to you about any medications you take. General guidelines include:
- Don't eat or drink anything after midnight before your angiogram.
- Take all your medications to the hospital with you in their original bottles. Ask your doctor about whether or not to take your usual morning medications.
- If you have diabetes, ask your doctor if you should take insulin or other oral medications before your angiogram.
Nov. 09, 2016
- Angiogram. Society for Cardiovascular Angiography and Interventions. http://www.secondscount.org/tests/test-detail?cid=def4661c-6a8d-4e13-a7c7-0751770609ee#.V8OOdDUmGLU. Accessed Aug. 29, 2016.
- Fuster V, et al., eds. Cardiac catheterization, cardiac angiography, and coronary blood flow and pressure measurements. In: Hurst's The Heart. 13th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2011. http://www.accessmedicine.com. Accessed Aug. 26, 2016.
- Cardiac catheterization. American Heart Association. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/HeartAttack/SymptomsDiagnosisofHeartAttack/Cardiac-Catheterization_UCM_451486_Article.jsp#.V8OeeTUmGLU. Accessed Aug. 28, 2016.
- Longo DL, et al., eds. Diagnostic cardiac catheterization and coronary angiography. In: Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 19th ed. New York, N.Y.: McGraw-Hill Education; 2015. http://accessmedicine.com. Accessed Aug. 26, 2016.
- Cardiac catheterization. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/cath/#. Accessed Aug. 28, 2016.
- Goldman L, et al., eds. Catheterization and angiography. In: Goldman-Cecil Medicine. 25th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2016. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Aug. 28, 2016.
- Angiogram. Society for Vascular Surgery. https://vascular.org/print/patient-resources/vascular-tests/angiogram. Accessed Aug. 28, 2016.