Dermatitis treatment depends on the type and extent of your condition. Mayo Clinic specialists use these strategies to control dermatitis:
- Avoiding allergens. Mayo specialists can advise you about substances to avoid, based on access to extensive databases listing the ingredients in consumer products.
- Corticosteroid creams and immunosuppressive ointments.
- Wet dressings. Medicated cream is applied to your dermatitis, then covered with fabric soaked in a solution that helps your skin absorb the medication. Wet dressings are a mainstay of effective dermatitis treatment at Mayo.
- Ultraviolet light treatments.
- Covering the affected area to prevent you from scratching it.
- Elastic support hose or varicose vein surgery to treat stasis dermatitis.
Lessening or eliminating symptoms may take time. It is important to be patient and continue to work with your doctor to determine the best ways to manage the condition.
Read more about dermatitis treatment at MayoClinic.com.