OverviewBy Mayo Clinic Staff
Sports medicine specialists at Mayo Clinic provide a coordinated team approach to the evaluation, diagnosis and treatment of injuries sustained by professional, amateur and recreational athletes. Preventive care is promoted through wellness, fitness and performance-enhancement consultations. Depending on the needs of the patient, the sports medicine team at Mayo Clinic may include:
- Athletic trainers
- Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation specialists
- Orthopedic surgeons
- Sports physical therapists
- Sports psychologists
This multispecialty approach to care provides patients access to a broad range of expertise and Sports Medicine services, including:
- Comprehensive evaluation and treatment of sports- and activity-related injuries
- Fitness assessment programs to improve sports performance and optimize fitness and health
- Diet analysis and nutritional counseling
- Assistance in dealing with the emotional aspects of injury and the psychological aspects of performance enhancement
- Access to some of the finest rehabilitation and exercise equipment and personnel available
Sports medicine specialists are involved in research and education to enhance care and performance of athletes. Mayo Clinic offers sports education programs for health care providers, coaches and athletes locally, nationally and internationally. Mayo's registered athletic trainers also provide contract services for middle school, high school and professional athletes and teams.
See department pages at each Mayo location. Includes lists of doctors.
Mayo Clinic Sports Medicine Center