The Mayo Clinic golf performance training program is designed to elevate your golfing experience to the next level. Whether you want to improve your game or you have an injury or condition interfering with your performance, the experienced staff will provide a comprehensive assessment, training and/or treatment prescription.
Identifying Goals, Addressing Limitations
First, the golf-specific questionnaire identifies your level of play and any injuries or issues, assesses your mental preparedness and identifies your ultimate goals for golf. Specially trained physical therapists will then work with you to identify your needs, provide a comprehensive evaluation and design your action plan.
If you have a musculoskeletal injury or condition interfering with your golf game, the staff can help you get back on the course. The Mayo Clinic Sports Medicine Center is equipped to evaluate and treat musculoskeletal conditions interfering with your golf participation and enjoyment. Physicians will perform a musculoskeletal examination, obtain appropriate diagnostic imaging, and formulate a treatment plan — including physical therapy, injections and surgical referral, if necessary.
Skilled physical therapists will:
- Evaluate flexibility, strength and balance in the context of your golf swing
- Identify and prioritize performance deficiencies
- Develop targeted, golf-specific exercises for you to execute independently or with the assistance of qualified health professionals
Reassessments and progression of exercise programs are also available.
A swing analysis is used to evaluate the athlete's technique and identify factors that may contribute to injury or interfere with performance. The program offers two swing analysis options:
- Assessment of the basic biomechanical swing — Sports medicine specialists can assess an athlete's technique and compare it to optimal techniques.
- Video analysis — Your videotaped swing allows a specialist to carefully measure range of motion, strength and balance.
Mental Skills Training
If you lose concentration easily, find that your emotions interfere with your golf game, or you have the Yips (nervousness or anxiety when attempting a short putt), you may benefit from mental skills training. For golfers wishing to strengthen their mental skills, a training program can be arranged.
Mastery of mental skills integrated with proper physical preparation can greatly enhance your performance and enjoyment of the game. Three levels of service are offered:
- Level 1 — You will complete a golf-specific questionnaire and your responses will be reviewed by a sports psychology consultant. The influence of psychosocial factors on your golf performance will be assessed and interventions recommended.
- Level 2 — In addition to a Level 1 assessment, your putting performance will be evaluated. Areas of need will be targeted and interventions recommended.
- Level 3 — In addition to a Level 2 assessment, you will be provided with a performance training CD that includes personalized mental skill strategies. This CD will be supplemented by a written script for easy reference during practice.
Your Action Plan
At the end of your evaluation, you will receive your action plan, which will include (depending on the scope of your evaluation) a summary of your evaluation, golf-specific exercises, mental skills training strategies, a swing analysis report, and, as applicable, recommendations for further medical and/or surgical treatment. The swing analysis report will highlight the potential effects of any current physical limitations on your swing. This information is essential to communicate to your PGA teaching professional. For some people, the exercise prescription alone may solve many limitations. In other cases, modifications to your swing and/or equipment may be necessary.
Mayo Clinic experts recognize the relationship between psychological, physiological, and physical factors in the golfer's performance. After your initial evaluation, the staff can provide follow-up evaluations, exercise progressions, further swing analyses, and mental skills progressions to address these factors.